7 |

can ya'll please vote 🥺👉🏻👈🏻

His words make me stop walking, dead in my tracks. It felt like someone had dumped a bucket of ice onto my head. I was shaking, and the word vomit I had earlier was starting to turn into real vomit, churning inside my gut.

"Quinn, are you okay?"

I ignore the words; not hearing them. My hand clutches my stomach as guilt starts making me physically ill.

"Quinn?" He presses once more, turning and looking at me in confusion.

"U-Um, sorry I just got a wave of nausea. I-I don't know if I can do this," I tell him. I'm sweating, and it feels like there's a ball stuck in my throat.

Here I was, with Paxton, carelessly discussing the woman my sister had killed. And he had no idea. Guilt pangs me again once more, and I have to hold my ground to not double over.

Paxton presses his lips together and takes a step toward me, placing his hand on one of my shoulders. For some reason, it soothed me. The nausea didn't fully leave but there was some relief to another person's touch.

"This is just some first-time jitters, I think. Everyone feels it. Even me." Hi subtle wink allowed me to push through —he had no idea what really caused me to be riddled with guilt.

I nod.

~

It smelt like rain. The air was thick —and the moist soil let out an intoxicating scent every time my feet hit the ground. The cool breeze whipped through the trees, stirring up the scent of pine.

The purest of air.

Paxton had his fingers to his lips, in a shush gesture. It made me stare at the way his bottom lip jutted out, pressing lightly against his hand.

I caught myself in my own thoughts, I needed to keep a low profile and thinking about the Alpha like that wasn't going to help me.

The idea of hunting made my heart squeeze, it was an activity that my sisters enjoyed much more than me. Yet, here I stood, in the middle of the woods, waiting for something to kill.

I decided to break the silence, despite Paxton's warning.

"What exactly am I supposed to kill this animal with?" I said gesturing with my empty hands. I knew I was capable of killing with no aid at all, with just a blink of an eye I could turn a beating heart to ash.

Paxton bared his teeth in a wide grinned smile. He put both his hands in front of him and waved. "Well, with your hands of course!" and even though it seemed impossible, his evil grin grew, stretching across his face.

I took a picture with my mind at that moment, guided by feelings I was unable to control. Every inch of his face was etched into my mind. His laugh lines around his eyes and the tiny chip in his incisor.

I would have to ask for the story behind it later.

I was too preoccupied thinking about the possible causes that I didn't notice that Paxton had moved behind me. The next thing I knew his breath was on my neck.