Preface

The definition of the word genesis is an origin, creation, or beginning. The beginning of something is the start, the dawn. Every relationship has a genesis. Whether it's a kiss, a touch or a simple hello. Everything begins somewhere.
    For me, my beginning was Genesis. A girl who chose her own name to signify her own beginning. Meeting her, becoming her friend, falling in love was the start of a new me. A Peyton who wasn't afraid of emotions, wasn't scared of acting on them, of crying in front of people or saying how I really felt.
Just as everything has a genesis, everything has an end. For four short months I had a taste of what being in love was like. Then it ended.
    I moved away from Colorado and Gen, spent a year in Washington making new friends and having new experiences. Now, I'm in New York, the place I've always wanted to be, attending college. My roommate is amazing, my classes are great, I love being on my own yet something has always been missing.
    I've tried dating, I've tried random hook ups but nothing compares to her. When I kiss someone else, all I can think about is how they don't kiss like Gen, her lips are softer. When I'm intimate with someone else, I'm not as comfortable as I am with Gen.
    We've never lost touch completely, but it hasn't been the same. A few texts here and there, updates on her family who became like mine in such a short period of time. Until she called me six months ago when I was moving into my dorm to wish me luck.
After that, the calls became regular and the texts increased. I drunkenly asked her to come visit me and she almost immediately bought a plane ticket.
    Now she's here and it feels like no time has passed, like we've always been together and always will be. But things aren't the same, we live practically on opposite sides of the country, I'm in New York for at least another three years and she's begun a career in Colorado. Long distance relationships sound like hell. Navigating a relationship at all when you've barely had one is tough enough. Still, being with Gen in some capacity has to be better than being without her.
    After something ends, can it begin again?