Chapter 9

Life really plays f**ked up games on the most unsuspecting people
-so she writes
***
This had to be the worst time of my life. Not only do I feel like I failed my geometry test but I have to meet the person behind the reason why I might fail the test.

"Nicki! Come greet your man....don't act all shy now" Becca beckons at me.
I didn't tell anyone about Jake. I didn't really have the time to and sharing sad news isn't really in my bucket list.

Seeing that I wasn't reacting. Becca looked at me then Jake and then me again.
"Am I missing something? Did you too fight?" I told you Becca never misses a thing. She's that observant.
"Nicki...can I talk to you?"Jake asks, sounding unsure and sad at the same time.
"I told you that only my friends have the right to call me that! My name is Nicole." I say calmly, way too calm.
"I-I I'm sorry Nicole, but please give me a chance" he ask
"A chance to what? Lie to me and make a fool out of me ? No thank you" I say walking away from a sad looking Jake and a stunned Becca.

I was still walking when I suddenly bumped into Brian. Yes! Faith's Brian.
"I'm sorry"
"Sorry"
Brain and I say at the same time. We laugh at that.
"No...it's my fault, I wasn't really paying attention to where I was going" I say to him.
"Same here. If I was we wouldn't have bumped into each other" he says taking half the blame. Now that we were close to each other I take a good look at Brian. I knew him since second grade but we never really talked. We just knew each other. He had grown from a 7 year old short Brian to a tall and I mean very tall Brian. Now I understand why Faith liked him, he was kinda cute.
"Touché, Brian"I laugh
After I said his name he looked at me like I was some kind of an award or prize. It was like he didn't believe I knew his name. With that thought came a throbbing pain that reminded of my migraine.
"Well...I gotta get going. And sorry for bumping into you" I wave at him goodbye.
"Yeah...sure thing, Nicki oh!! I mean Nicole" he says unsure.
"Nicki is just fine, Brian" I say to him as I
smile.
"Are you okay?" Brian ask looking at me attentively
"Yeah??" I ask unsure. "Why?" I ask him.
"Your eyes they are kinda ....dull" he says as if he wasn't sure whether dull was the word to use.
"Uhmm...I'm okay thanks?" I say phrasing it as a question more than answer.
"Bye now"
"Bye...Nicki" he says like he was testing it out.
I just just laughed at him.
What did he mean my eyes look dull?
Brian was acting weird,but I didn't take it to head. I had a lot going on in my mind right now.

And with that went home. I needed to sleep.

***
I stirred in my sleep as hear my phone beep from under my pillow. It's been beeping for a while now but I just ignored it. I was really tired and drowsy from the pills I had taken for my migraine.

I open my phone and was immediately blinded by the brightness. I must have forgotten to lower it when I came back from school. I lower the brightness and then I really wished I didn't.
I have 15 messages and 6 missed call form Jake and Becca, well mostly Jake.

"Can we just talk? Pls"
"Nicole..I'm truly sorry"
"Can I see you"
"I really love you Nicole"

Now the last one made me mad.How dare he! Love? I don't think he knew the meaning of that word.
Love isn't supposed to hurt.
You don't lie to someone you love.
You don't cheat on them.
And you definitely don't treat them like some rag doll.

So Jacob Morris had no right to use that word with me or anyone else for that matter.

Ding! Ding!
My phone beeps.

It better not be Jake because if it was. Thor better have mercy on him.

"Hi sweetie! Mind babysitting for me this weekend? Promise to pay you extra for short notice"

The text read. It's from my mom's friend and my godmother, Aunt Caroline. She was the coolest godmother the is out there and I loved her. I babysit for her once in a while and she doesn't let me do it free. She says I'm a growing teenager who has needs.

Me:I won't come if you pay me extra, you know I'd do it for free either
💜Aunt C: nonsense! Nothing is for free except my love for you
Me: 😊awww you so sweet Aunt C but my answer is no if you pay extra
💜Aunt C: so stubborn, Just like you momma. Okay it's a deal. Fetch you later ?
Me: are you telling mom or should I?
💜Aunt C: I'll tell her. See you soon🌸

My mood was a little bit lifted. I was going to my godmother's place and that place was heaven on earth. I really loved spending time with aunt Caroline and little baby Kara.

I take my duffel bag and pack some things I'll need for the weekend at aunt Caroline's place and it wasn't a lot. Just clothes and books.

After finishing packing. I make sure to take my earphones and sweets for baby Kara. She was only 2 and she was already a spitfire. I couldn't wait to see her.

This is a much needed break. Hope I'm able to forget about Jake and move on.

Now I wait for aunt C.