Chapter 16: A Date

Reika and Illumi were led to a table in the back right up against a floor to ceiling window. The waitress pulled out the chair for Reika as Illumi sat down. Two menus were place in front of them and a candle in the center of the table was lit. An exquisite looking bottle of wine was pulled out and the waitress filled both wine glasses.

"I'll come back for your orders, please take your time." The waitress bowed and walked away.

Illumi took a sip of the wine and placed it back on the table gently, his eyes never leaving Reika. He motioned for her to do the same, so she brought her lips to her glass and drank a small amount. The wine was sweeter than she expected, and it was smooth doing down, she decided she was a wine person at this moment.

"Do you feel the Nen user here, the target is in this room, but I won't tell you where or who they are. You must find that out on your own." Illumi informed her.

Reika definitely felt someone with Nen in the room. Without using En she closed her eyes and let her senses take over. Illumi was right, the target was the only other Nen user with them. Reika combed through the room until she targeted a woman in her late twenties sitting about four tables away from them. Reika had her back to the woman, but she could still sense her aura. It was light and airy, not menacing like Illumi's, Reika wondered why Illumi was hired to assassinate such a seemingly harmless woman.

"I found her. Her aura has no malice in it. Why is she your target?" Reika questioned if she was allowed to ask Illumi that, but her curiosity couldn't be tamed.

"She's someone my client is sick of dealing with. I'm not inclined to tell you the full story, don't let your emotions get mixed up in this. Tell me what her abilities are." Illumi suddenly reached over the table and took Reika's hand in his. Reika knew better than to question this move, so she played along and held his hand.

"She's mainly a manipulator, I can see that she uses her own blood to attack enemies. She's also a skilled emitter, her Nen is more annoying than powerful. The more she bleeds, the more she can fight back." Reika was surprised she could sense all of this from the distance they were at. She hopped that it meant she was getting stronger.

"We'll wait until she moves, then we'll strike. Drain as much of her Nen as you can without her noticing." Illumi ordered her as he pushed a menu towards her and looked down at his own.

Reika nodded and placed her free hand under the table, so she could hold onto the woman's Nen. She looked at the menu and realized everything was in a different language. Her hand naturally gripped onto Illumi's a bit tighter at the sight of French words. Illumi looked up at her and noticed her mindlessly reading the menu, he knew she couldn't read it. He ever so slightly smiled at the blank expression she wore, but it soon disappeared when the waitress came back.

"What can I get you two." She smiled at the couple in front of her.

Illumi let go of Reika's hand and began reading off the menu. Reika wasn't too surprised that Illumi could read and speak French. Once Illumi was done describing what he wanted, he kindly ordered for Reika. She smiled thankfully, Illumi saved her from the embarrassment of saying broken French that she couldn't understand in the first place.

"I'll be right back with that." The waitress bowed before leaving the two alone.

Reika had to admit that Illumi didn't look half bad in a suit and tie. The dimly lit table did make him look scarier in a sense, but Reika knew it was her imagination. Reika still wanted nothing more than to reach over the table and choke him for kidnapping her, but the needle in her head prevented her from having too many thoughts like those.

"You've gotten stronger since that last time I saw you." Illumi said aloud, Reika stopped her train of thought and was brought back to reality.

"I suppose. I grew a lot from previously working with you." Reika wasn't sure how to make conversation with him, she was very careful with every word.