Chapter 15: An Old Acquaintance

Reika decided to go on walk through the city after leaving Hisoka's note behind. She put on some light blue shorts and a black t-shirt. She stopped at the door to put on her shoes and then headed out.

It was a bright and sunny day with no clouds in sight. Reika marveled at how beautiful the day was after all the chaos that happened with the Phantom Troupe. It was almost like part of the city wasn't under attack just two days ago.

Reika wouldn't miss this opportunity to get some vitamin D. As she walked around the bright city, she found a small child crying on the side of the road. Reika immediately ran in to help, other pedestrians simply looking at them and did nothing. Reika approached the child and bent down to their level.

"What's wrong?" Reika asked with a concerned look on her face.

"I lost my mommy!" The little girl cried.

"Shh, shh it's going to be alright; I'll help you look for her." The little girl took Reika's hand and held it tightly.

"Will you take me to where you last saw her? She's probably out looking for you right this minute." Reika comforted the girl with reassuring eyes.

"Mn." She nodded her head and began walking Reika through the city.

The two walked for some time and the bustling city was suddenly to their back as the girl walked her to the countryside. Reika felt something was off, but she continued to follow the little girl as trees started to set in.

"Is this really where you last saw your mother?" Reika asked noticing the girl's grip on her hand tightened.

"Yes." The girl said through her dried tears.

"Okay..." Reika was unsure, but she knew whatever laid ahead of her she would be ready for.

The two continued walking through the forest until they stumbled upon an unconscious woman leaning up against a tree. Reika let go of the girl's hand and ran to the woman, she felt for a pulse and thankfully found one.

"How did this-" Suddenly a needle flew straight for Reika's head, but she caught it just in time. It was a small almost invisible needle that Reika recognized.

"Illumi! Stop hiding and face me!" Reika yelled out into the trees.

Three more large needles flew at her at top speed, Reika jumped out of the way and watched them land in the tree behind her. Illumi revealed himself from behind a tree, his face bore its usual expressionless look.

"Yo." Was all he said before throwing a few more needles at the little girl.

Reika was quick and grabbed her to pull her out of the way, but Illumi threw another thin needle which landed directly into Reika's head. Stunned by Illumi's cleverness, Reika fell back on the ground as the needle implanted itself into her.

"I see your love for children hasn't gone away." Illumi said as he released his In and revealed a needle inside the child's head.

"How dare you use a child like that!" Reika stood back up and threw a fiery punch at Illumi which he easily dodged.

"Call me master and never disobey an order." Illumi said abruptly causing Reika to stand in place.

Illumi's oppressive aura consumed Reika, a familiar knot formed in her stomach as she stood still, too afraid to move. Reika willed herself to lift her hand up to the needle in her head, but she was too weak to defy Illumi's orders.

"What do you say, Reika?" Illumi asked, his gaze fixated on her.

"Y-Yes, master..." Reika's voice was trembling, her biggest nightmare just came true, she was now under Illumi's control once again.