Chapter 5: A Dance

The car ride was full of silence as the two made their way to the city of Tamir. Reika never knew what to say to Illumi, or even if she should talk to him. She didn't hate the silence, she actually preferred it over a weird conversation with him.

It was dark now, around 9:35 pm, they were almost to their destination. The city was large and tall with many skyscrapers, Reika was impressed with how the city glowed under the moon. She was too busy looking out the window to notice Illumi's eyes on her.

"We're here, stay in the car." Illumi demanded as he exited the vehicle.

They had pulled up to a very large mansion with many windows. Reika was impressed with the size and how expensive it looked. She noticed other people dressed in a similar fashion to Illumi and her enter the mansion. As she was looking out the window, a dark figure stepped in front of her view and opened the door for her. It was Illumi; he reached out his hand and offered it to her.

'So, the acting starts now eh?' Reika thought as she placed her hand gingerly onto Illumi's.

Illumi helped her out of the car and placed her hand around his left arm. The two walked side by side to the grand entrance of the mansion.

"Tickets sir?" An attendant asked Illumi who simply handed him the two tickets he had shown Reika in the car.

"Please enjoy yourselves." With that Illumi walked Reika inside with her arm wrapped around his.

Reika knew how to act, that wasn't the problem. The problem was having to be so close to Illumi, someone she feared. Reika kept the slight smile of content on her face even though her insides were telling her to run.

The two made their way into a full ballroom. There were many guests, each looking just as expensive as the mansion itself. Reika had never seen so many beautifully dressed people in her short lifetime.

Her and Illumi walked over to the corner of the large room and stood among the other guests. Reika looked around the room to find the target, Illumi was doing the same.

"My lovely guests, please enjoy yourselves tonight as we prepare for the new season!" A slim man in a white suit beamed from the center of the room. He was tall and had blond hair, Reika figured he was the one in charge of this gathering.

Many of the guests clapped for him before returning to dancing or drinking. Reika noticed the long tables on the sides of the room full of desserts and glasses of what looked like champagne. She had never had alcohol since she was underage, so she made a mental note to not drink any just in case she was a lightweight. She didn't need to be drunk while working with Illumi, in fact that was the last thing she wanted.

"Let's go." Illumi took her hand and led her to the dance floor. Reika internally freaked out at the sudden feel of his ice-cold hands.

Reika followed Illumi to the center of the room, once there she placed her left hand on his shoulder and held his other hand. She had never danced before, and she was sure that he would be a much better dancer.

"Do you know how to dance?" It was like Illumi could read her mind and Reika hated that.

"No, but I am a fast learner."

"Just follow what I do and try not to embarrass yourself." Illumi said as he pulled her a little closer to him.

"Yes, master." Reika wanted to roll her eyes, but she held herself back.

The two danced while Illumi scouted out the room, Reika was too busy focusing on her feet to look around. She had finally got the rhythm to dancing after a few minutes when Illumi whispered in her ear.