8. approval

jon wanted to talk to wren about the previous night. badly. he wanted to tell her he didn't know what to think but he liked the closeness and he really enjoys her company. that everything is brighter when she's around. but how would he even begin to tell her that. he forgot, it was a sunday again.

she was in a purple mid thigh length skirt, with a white button up shirt with lightblue flowers all over it. seeing her in heels made his heart do something he wished it didn't. her hair was straightened and hair sprayed, falling down her back to her waist. she had leftovers in the microwave and was brewing coffee he knew wasn't for her. she was drinking a glass of water. "i'm assuming it's not the wisest of me to come again." he said. she turned to him, without the usual smile.

"no, i want you there." wren shook her head. "i don't wanna be alone. god knows my mother won't speak a word to me." 

wren had enough on her plate without weird feelings jon couldn't pinpoint. he just walked up to her and hugged her. and even if she was a little surprised she hugged him back. 

-

long story short, wrens mother is not a fan of jon. the second he stepped into the church, karla pulled him aside. wren followed, ready for drama.

"how dare you bring such filth into church?" karla whisper yelled to wren.

"i'm right here you know." jon nodded. "and it's not filth just because you don't understand it."

"if i had it my way you would've never even laid eyes on my daughter. your music is sacrilegious and you do not belong in a holy place."

"my music has helped people in the same way your religion has ma'am." he butted in.

"mom, we are in church!" wren said desperately. "jon is sweet and caring. he's better than evan was for me."

jon decided to keep quiet. "i refuse to be associated with you after what you've done to our family name." karla huffed.

"wasn't dad a person too, ma?" she grabbed her mother's wrist as she tried to turn around. "wasn't he a normal person? who listened to pink floyd and drove a truck and cursed? why can't someone be a person? why can't i be a person!" they were lucky the lobby was loud because wren was near tears. "a couple tabloid saying lies, mom! that's all!"

"they know wren. word travels." karla looked around to the glances they were getting. "they see your impurity. that you're a band whore."

"i've known him for a week!" wren almost shouted. "do you really think that low of me?"

"i don't know what to think, but you need to go. wren alexis, we will talk about this when you come to your senses." her mother headed for the congregation. god, it hadn't even started yet.

and wren was devastated.

it was hard to breathe so she turned on her heels and went down the stone stairs back to her car. jon stayed back, walking up to karla.

"you need to listen." jon said to karla.

"i don't take orders from you." karla snuffed him.

"wren is an amazing young woman who is selfless and kind, with morals and love in her heart. she loves you. she loves her dad. and for fucks sake," he tries to avoid cursing but it doesn't work. "she can't keep jumping through hoops. do you even see what you're putting her through? she's a human karla. she can't be perfect."

he ran back down the stairs, over to the car parked on the curb. he gets into the passenger seat, next to wren. she sits emotionless. he can't tell what she's thinking. sometimes wren was like a burnt diary, locked up and reserved. it was hard to put together the ashes.