twenty nine

song: dedicated to the one I love
by mamas & papas
________________________

Rogelio's POV

"C'mon Kyle, one more!"

The sound of the metal blade clashing with the punching bag strung from the ceiling fills the room, making both me and Catra flinch. The smell of sweat is putrid, but neither of us would pass down the chance to see He-Man and Adora in training.

"He's not bad actually."

Catra says, taking a swig from Adora's water bottle. I nod in agreement, beads of sweat forming on my forehead just from looking at him. I know he would never be able to do so much as Kyle, and it's strange seeing him so precise for once.

'It's a little weird to get used to.'

I say, making sure I'm quiet enough so that Kyle can't hear me. He ducks under Adora's arm as she swings at him and jabs the sword into the punching bag.

"Yeah, I getcha."

After what feels like only a couple of seconds more of exercise Kyle shifts back to himself and collapses into an exhausted heap on the floor. Adora grabs her water from Catra and downs it in one go.

"Okay, so He-Man is just as fit as She-Ra."

She says between gasps. Of course he is, I think, but I wouldn't dare say that to anyone else. When Kyle drags himself over to me I laugh with the sight of him falling dramatically into my arms with a huff of hot air escaping his lips, and secretly adore the way his hair falls even messier after a workout than it usually does, each blonde strand like a golden thread framing his pale but flushed face.

"Why... are you staring... at me?"

He pants. I smile at him and shrug, sure that he'll understand eventually. Adora slaps him on the back encouragingly and sits next to us on the bench, pushing Catra over to make room. Maybe it's just the knowledge that Adora's Kyle's sister messing with my head, but they look scarily alike, each glint in their eyes even more similar and every strand of blonde hair only looking more the same as time passes on.

"One training session before the mission isn't exactly good, but it'll do."

Adora says with a smile. Kyle grumbles something and hides his face in my chest again.

'Maybe for once all his training with the Horde will have payed off.'

I growl. Catra understands me and snickers when Kyle shoots me a glare, but Adora just looks to the floor silently.

"Are you two okay? I don't mean it like that, it's just... have you even had time to process anything?"

She says, catching me off guard. Her voice wavers as she speaks and sends a twinge of anxiousness through my head. Are we? Kyle looks up at me and out eyes remain locked for a few seconds, before looking back to the floor. I frown at the side of his face and decide not to say anything, not finding the right words even if I wanted to. Adora smiles and pats my hand.

"Sorry, I'm just worried. Sisterly things, I suppose."

The four of us sit in an uncomfortable silence for a while before Kyle decides we should probably go back to our room.

The room is beautiful as always. Being midday the sun is perched high above the castle on it's sparkling throne, hiding away from all of the chaos that will soon be brought over the crimson waste tomorrow. I stare at it through the large glass doors and wish for a second that I could watch from above, too. I glance over at Kyle, who's lying on the floor, and lie next to him. Our heads are side by side buy our bodies stick out in opposite directions.