eight

Song: Secret Love Song (II)
by Little Mix
(Happy pride month bbys <3)
____________________________

Kyle's POV  (Going to be a very long chapter!)

I stand in front of the mirror with a frown on my face. The outfit I'm wearing is one of my favorites, since it's the most expensive thing I own. There's sky blue trousers that stop at my ankles, a matching blazer and a soft white shirt that's smooth to the touch. My shoes are an inky black and they don't have a single scuff, probably because I've only ever worn them once.

I'm supposed to be looking forward to making peace with the new person in the ship, but I can't stop thinking about what happened yesterday. The memories that flooded back to me because of nothing but a silly argument.

'You look nice.'

Rogelio says, stepping behind me so that I can see him in the mirror. He has a similar outfit to mine, only his is black, not blue, but he has bow tie left untied around his neck that matches what I'm wearing.

"As do you."

I say with a smile. He ties my own black bow tie and I can't help but smile at the final result. I look... good. I offer to tie his but he shakes his head.

'I saw Catra wear it open before, I think it's cool.'

He says. I shove him playfully and roll my eyes. He copies everything Catra does, but I don't blame him honestly.

I sigh and look over at the clock on the dresser. 7:20pm.

"It's nearly time."

I say. My voice cracks with anxiety. I'm not one for formal gatherings, and I'm definitely not one for fighting. I know we're supposed to be positive going in here, but after fighting a war I've lost trust in a lot of people. I'm going in preparing for the absolute worst.

Rogelio nods and takes both of our staffs that we got as soldiers into a carrier strap on his back and I laugh a little.

"Is that allowed?"

He shrugs.

'If the princesses have their powers, then we have to be ready, too.'

We both smile for what feels like hours, but was actually only seconds. I walk out into the living room and peek out of the window, biting my lip subconsciously. The sky is getting dark, which means that everybody will be picking up soon. I pick up the rusty key from the windowsill and flip it over in my hand. We only lock the door from the outside when we leave at night, and that's very rare.

I notice some silhouettes on top of the hill where the ship is. The ship itself must be on the other side, because we can't see it from here.

"There's some people up there already. Should we go?"

I ask. Rogelio peeks out the window over my head and sighs.

'Yeah, we should.'

We open the door and try not to choke on the hot sandy air blown into our faces. My fingers fumble when I try to lock the door with the stupid old key and I get so frustrated Rogelio has to take over so that I don't break it. I notice the shadows on the hill are waving towards us, and I don't even know who it is but I wave back.

The walk to the peak is long and draining. With the heat hanging in the air and the sand slowing us down everything is harder than expected. I start to see some one, probably whoever was waving, and feel somewhat relieved when I see Catra and Adora smiling at us.