two

Song: Figures
by Jessie Reyez
(unrelated to chapter)
_____________________________

Kyle's POV

"The war ended nearly three years ago. Why do we still have to fight?"

I say, anger lacing my tone. Ro shrugs and sits down on our sad excuse for a couch.

"I don't see why we have to help, either."

I sit down next to my boyfriend and hold my face in my hands, my elbows digging into my knees as I let out shaky breaths.

I've gone two months without a flashback. No memories of the Horde, of being bullied, of fighting innocent people... But now it's all flooding back, like the word 'fight' is a key that unlocks my anxiety. I feel a sturdy hand on my back and I try to relax, but it's useless.

A knock on our door sounds and Ro gets up to answer it, but I stay in my current position.

"Good, you're back. I'm guessing they told you about the crystal?"

Lonnie says, stumbling in the door with a familiar blue creature in her hands. Her voice rings in my head.

'the Crystal'

I sit up and turn to her, my eyebrows creased into a frown.

"Why didn't you tell us about it? Maybe I could've had a panic attack a bit earlier."

I ask. I notice that my tone is harsh, a little mean, even, but once I start to panic manners don't matter to me. Lonnie sighs and shoves Imp into Rogelio's arms before folding her own.

"I was busy. And besides, it's not like anything's actually going to happen around here."

She says. Rogelio shoots me a concerned look, but I shrug him off. I turn back and face away from them again. Of course she wouldn't tell us. After all these years she still leaves me out of everything.

I hear Rogelio's familiar growling and Lonnie scoffs. The only word I caught him say was 'alone'. Maybe he's telling her off.

"You guys gotta keep your hands off each other. You're getting all soft!"

Lonnie exclaims. Imp repeats her words and I squeeze my eyes shut.

'Soft'.

Why is that an insult? Why do I feel so offended when people tell me I'm soft? So what if I am?

"And?"

I ask. Rogelio sits next to me and shakes his head, Imp imitating him while perched on his knee.

He grumbles something and I completely understand him. I must be getting better 'She didn't say we were weak.'

I nod. He's right, as usual. She never called me weak, I just interpreted it that way.

"Whatever, Lonnie."

I grumble. She sits next to me and rests her legs up on our wobbly table.

"What have you two been up to, anyways? You barely come visit."

Rogelio and I share a guilty look and my cheeks burn up a little.

"We've been busy, I guess."

Lonnie frowns.

"I'd appreciate the stop by every now and then. Imp isn't exactly good company."