twenty three

Song: Stuck with me (slowed)
by The Neighborhood
(Such a great song!!!!)
_________________________

Rogelio's POV

I hold Kyle's hand in mine as he sleeps. Transfixed by his soft breaths, I watch as his chest rises and falls slowly with every passing second.

Sunlight, one of the things that Bright Moon has always had plenty of fills the room like it usually does, only this time it's shimmering glow reminds me of my home, and of how I'm never going to wake up in our shabby little excuse for a flat ever again.

Every now and then I cough a little, like the smoke from the scene has attached itself to my lungs, and it does nothing but remind me of how that woman ruined everything for us.

"Rogelio?"

I look up to Kyle and smile at him. His eyelids flutter open slowly at first but then he looks around and surveys the room.

"I was hoping it was a dream. I thought we'd wake up back home."

Home. The word feels like a punch to the stomach, but I try my best to stay strong.

'Yeah, me too.'

He brings my hand to his lips and kisses it softly with a smile.

"We'll get through this together. All of this. Astra, He-Man, The Valley."

His tone is gentle but his words stand out to me just the same.

'He-Man? Is that who you were yesterday?'

I ask, mainly to take my mind off our old home but also because I'm worried for him. He nods and scooches over in the bed, patting the space behind him for me to sit on. I crawl up next to him and his head falls to my shoulder again.

"I don't know what it is yet, but It has to be something to do with She-Ra..."

His voice falters like he's thinking about adding something on, but he doesn't. If we weren't friends with Adora, maybe this would have come as a huge shock, but for some strange reason none of this feels crazy to me. I suppose being surrounded by magic would do that to you.

'She blew up the valley, didn't she?'

I ask. Kyle sits up straight and starts biting his lip.

"Yeah."

I nod and wrap my arm around his shoulders.

'You don't have to talk about it, but I think we're going today.'

He looks up at me with furrowed brows.

"To the valley?"

I nod and every single ounce of pain and worry inside of Kyle's head flashes across his face, only lasting a couple of seconds before he smiles through it.

"Okay."

We sit for a while and only stir when there's an aggressive knock on the door. We recognise it instantly.

Lonnie pops her head in and smiles as she runs over to sit on the end of the bed.

"Hey Kyle, you doing okay?"

She asks and Kyle nods in reply. She leans over and punches me in the arm with a smirk.

"You better be taking good care of him Rogelio."

I roll my eyes and laugh with them. How lucky were we to have saved Lonnie and Imp?

'Are we going to the valley?'