Chapter 9.

“What’s wrong with Niall?” Harry asked Louis and Niall rolled his eyes. He wasn’t able to hear them or anything. He sure as hell didn’t sit right in front of them and it’s not like he was sharing a meal with them.

“He’s been friend-zoned” Louis whispered back, but he has never been a quiet whisperer.

“I’m not friend-zoned!” He growled to the two brunettes in front of him.

“But you said-“

“I said I was brother-zoned, that is much worse because that is like… the lowest point” Niall sighed and rested his head on the McDonald’s table he was sitting at.

Louis slurped his coke from a straw and the sound was going like a damn bullet through his brain.

“Stop that!” Niall barked to Louis.

“I didn’t do anything!” Louis defended himself.

Niall felt as if he and his friends were closer again and at the same time that he loved it, they required some of his free time that he’d rather spend with Liam.

Right now they were sitting in a shabby McDonald’s. Niall had already finished his meal and waited impatiently for Harry and Louis to finish theirs as well.

“I’m going to the bathroom” He informed his friends and rose from his seat and bumped right into a person walking by their table.

“Oh! I’m sorry!” Niall said and looked at the boy, who seemed oddly familiar.

“No, it’s okay” The boy smiled and Niall recognized him as Josh, a nice guy in his Spanish class.

“So, what’s up?” Niall asked and wanted to slap himself, because Josh probably just wanted to find a table and eat his food already, not converse with Niall.

“Not much. It’s quite good that I would run into you here, I’ve been trying to catch you at school but you seem to just disappear all the time” Josh grinned.

“Oh, really? Why?” Niall had no idea what Josh could possibly want from him, because they didn’t exactly know each other.

“I, uh, saw on facebook that you came out as gay and just wanted to ask you if you wanted to go for a coffee or something sometime” Josh was clearly nervous and Niall didn’t really know what to say.

“Uh… You mean like a date?” He asked and Josh nodded.

“Yeah, a date… If you want to call it that” A pink blush had found its way over Josh’s cheeks. Niall glanced uncertainly at Harry and Louis, who nodded eagerly.

“Sure!” Niall said and smiled at Josh.

“O-okay” Josh grinned widely and gave Niall his number before he disappeared and Niall dragged his friends out of the fast food restaurant.

“What did I just do?!” He yelled at his Louis and Harry.

“You were being a normal human being?” Harry suggested.

“But I agreed to go on a date with him!”

“Yeah… That’s good. Maybe you can forget about Liam now”

“But I don’t want to forget about Liam!” Niall shook his head.

“You should go out with him anyway, who knows, you might really like him” Louis patted his back a little and Niall sighed.

“Yeah, I guess”

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

So a week later, on a cold and dark Thursday night, Niall found himself in a cozy coffee shop with Josh. It was nice, sure, but Niall had a hard time focusing on Josh and he kept comparing him to Liam.