She could worry about that later, she told herself. First she had to get to the capital. Perhaps Wildwood would help her.

She felt bad imagining asking him for help when he had already done so much, but what better choice did they have?

"Don't worry, Daphne," she told her sister who was looking rather fretful. She did not want Daphne to worry.

Theresa leapt to her feet and strode towards the door. It was shut, but she had hands again and that fact was absolutely delightful. She moved the handle and the door slid open.

The act of letting herself out of a closed room made her feel capable of doing nearly anything and brightened her spirits considerably.

Humans just did not understand how lucky they were to have such effective tools at their disposal. Nimble and versatile, hands were one of the most amazing things in the world.

She had never thought to appreciate hers before. Truly wonderful, marvelously designed mechanics that only awaited her slightest command.

"Uh, where are you going?" Daphne asked.

"To see Wildwood," Theresa said as she opened the door.

"Lord Wildwood is probably sleeping."

"What?" Theresa glanced at her sister and realized Daphne was already in her nightdress.

Theresa felt too worked up to go to back to sleep. "Well, I can't sleep right now. I can't just sit here. I can open doors! I'll be back in a while."

Daphne looked at Theresa as if she had gone mad and shrugged her shoulders.

"I'll just keep you awake if I stay," Theresa pointed out.

"I don't mind," Daphne said.

"I won't be long. He might still be awake. Wizards keep odd hours, don't they say? Don't worry so much, Daphne. Goodnight."

"Goodnight," agreed Daphne in resigned tones. She had clearly decided that attempting to reason with her sister was pointless.

And it was, because Theresa had things that needed to get done.

Theresa left the room. Daphne was acting as if Theresa was off. She supposed that she was different than before, but it was only natural. The way that Daphne remembered her was as she had been while being constantly controlled. A lot had happened since then.

Daphne had changed, too. Perhaps neither of them had been exactly as they had seemed.

Not that it mattered. Either way, their aunt had to go. Theresa would not let her control them again.

* * * * *

Always before, Theresa had spent the agonizingly long nights in the room with Daphne, but she was now free to open doors and move around as she pleased, a true delight.

She walked through the castle, marveling at how still the castle was at night. The quiet structure was even quieter.

It was nice not to worry any longer about being accidentally shut into a room that she could not get out of by a careless servant.

Theresa made her way to Wildwood's tower. She climbed the stairs and rapped on his door. She could not hear anything properly; ever since she had been restored it was as if she had cotton stuck in her ears. Wildwood did not come to the door.

She would have liked to talk to him, but she told herself that there would not have been much they could do at that moment even if she had. It was the middle of the night.