"You'll know more when we know more," Paxton says as he cooly gets off the bed. "Or you won't. I'm not sure what I'll be sharing with you from now on, Freckles."

Back to the nickname, I think bitterly. I'm back to square one.

"Freckles!" I shout as the two men leave my room, Paxton leaving lastly. He stops at my words. "Why Freckles, again?" I ask lightly, hugging my knees to my chest.

He turns his head only slightly, his eyebrows furring. A half smirk makes its way into his face as he replies, "Freckles... like the ones you get from the sun."

"Exactly," I mutter as I fall back into the silky blue sheets, closing my watering eyes. "Just like the sun."

~

My mind whirled, I felt like I hadn't left my bed in months, but in reality it had only been a couple of days stuck in his house.

The hours seemed to drag out, my sense of time had become muddled. Life revolving more around Paxton's comings and goings then actual passing of day.

As I sat and picked at the bedsheets that pooled around me, I thought about earlier today, when Paxton told me about the plans for the meeting.

He had stood in the doorway of the room, not daring to come closer. After that kiss, he didn't break through the invisible barrier that the archway seemed to create.

Like he always had to be five feet away from me in order to keep a check on himself.

Except the distance did not stop me from admiring his perfect figure. As he leaned again the white frame the muscles in his arm rippled from the light pressure on his bicep. His dirty white tank top leaving little to the imagination. He had clearly just come back from a hunt. I could still see the faint tinge of red that tainted his lips from his most recent kill.

I was distracted memorizing every curve in his lips, and the way that they moved that I completely missed what he said to me.

"Freckles?" Paxton said, he almost an annoyed huff. His tone was off-putting and caused me to be sucked out of my day dream.

I was starting to feel more like a pet.

"Wh-what?" I stammered out. My eyes meeting his as I swung my legs off the bed.

I noticed that when my feet met the floor, Paxton took an instinctive step backwards. A pang of guilt shot through my heart. I stayed where I sat on the bed. I didn't want him to move any farther away.

If only he kne— my thoughts were silenced when he tried again.

"I said, that we will be leaving in just a few days. The Alpha meeting had already been pushed forward to discuss the circumstances surronding a Luna's death, so advancing these extra few weeks hardly makes a difference."

In this moment I had wished I could go back to when I didn't hear what he had said.

A Luna's death.

My throat became dry. I wasn't even sure if I could formulate a response, let alone speak.

I just prayed no one would see the connection between me and her, however I knew this was pushing my luck. These Alpha's had been around for years, some old enough that they may even remember me and the first time I attended an Alpha conference.

I had only been about seven or maybe eight, and of course I wasn't allowed to sit in on the meeting. However, my family, being who we were, was invited to the notuirous ball that was held the night before the opening remarks.