"Almost there, almost there," she whispered to herself.

"STOLEN BY THE BOBCATS!!!!" The announcer loudly shouted.

As Malika tripped over the opposing teammates foot, she instantly flew down the the ground.

She sat on the turf and watched in defeat as the Bobcats scored the final goal, taking the win.

She shook her head as she watched the opposing team cheer while throwing dirty looks at her.

"Hey it's okay," Nia holds her hand out.

Malika stands up and shakes her head in disappointment.

"I was almost there. But she stuck her foot out. I-I wasn't paying attention. I was so focused on getting the ball to the goal and I forgot about everything el-"

"Hey it's okay," Nia hugs her now emotional cousin.

"I was almost there," Malika whispered.

"It's okay, it's going to be alright,"

                                          ••

"Malika a word please," coach nods towards her office.

"What happened out there tonight?"

"I...I don't even know. I was so close,"

"Close isn't good enough. We were close to winning, but did we? No. Those scouts were probably close to making you an offer tonight, but did any of them talk to you after the game?"

"No,"

"No. So close isn't good enough Malika. And you've been moving slower in practice and during the games. Something you wanna talk about?"

"I've been doing my workouts and running miles on the track like you tell us to,"

"Yet you're still gaining. If I have to start checking your girls' weight again then I will. I understand that some of the girls may be self conscious about that but I've been letting y'all get away with a lot. Be prepared for practice tomorrow," she motions for Malika to leave.

Malika shook her head as she walked back into the chatty locker room filled with her teammates.

She gasped when she was pulled into a discreet corner by her teammate she despised the most. Lena.

"I'm not in the mood for your shit tonight Lena,"

"Whatever. I just heard what coach said to you and I wanna help you,"

"You? Wanna help me? And were you eavesdropping on our conversation,"

"You act like the whole team doesn't do it when Coach is fussing at someone. Anyways, here," She shoves a bottle into Malika's pocket.

"What is this?" Malika reaches for it.

"Don't take it out. But it's something to help you. Take them as needed okay?"

"I don't want your-"

"Just think about it okay. I take them whenever I feel like I'm getting out of shape and with the after school practices, you'll for sure notice some results in a week or two. And I don't mean to be rude, but watching you diet also helps,"

"I don't know what to say,"

"You don't have to say anything," Lena says. "Just don't mention this to anymore and if you need more just let me know," Lena nods as she leaves Malika.

Malika slowly pulled the bottle out of her pocket and read the label that explained how the diet pills were beneficial.

She wasn't sure if she was gonna use them yet, but with the season coming to an end soon, it probably wouldn't be so bad to easily drop a few pounds.