- 10 -

"Hey what are you doing here," I closed my locker

"I transferred. Football coach at my school got into some shit for messing with some cheerleaders or some shit," he shrugs.

"What does that mean?" I start to walk with him.

"It's not a good look for the school. Colleges were gonna start looking at everybody but us,"

"Damn that sucks," I sigh.

"Yeah, I need all the offers I can get. Football is my only way out of here," DeLane sighs.

"Well how are your grades? You can play football as a hobby and go to school to be something else,"

"Schools never really been my thing. I mean I'm not a dumbass and I'm not the smartest. But football is my passion you know?"

"I hope everything works out for you,"

"Me too babe," he kisses my cheek making me blush.

"Hey I gotta go pick up my schedule? Meet up for lunch,"

"Yeah I'll text you. I can come with you now if you want,"

"Nah Malika, I don't want you to be late,"

"Okay well, I'll see you then,"

"See you," he pecks my forehead.

DeLane and I had been talking to eachother for some weeks now and he was honestly a really sweet guy.

He was different from what I thought most high school guys were like and that made me realize that I should stop judging people before I even meet them.

"Ooh bitch, I see you and your man," Nia wraps her arm around my neck.

"It's not like that,"

"Then what's it like?"

"We're just vibing,"

"Vibing?"

"Vibing," I nod.

"Cute. I'm all for it. How you feel about your first game tonight?"

"I'm a lil sad cause it's my last first game of highschool, but I think we'll do good tonight,"

"I'll be in the stands cheering with my poster," she smiles.