Chapter 14: The Calm Before The Storm

A young Lincoln Loud, at the age of eleven, was carrying his drowsy seven year old sister, Lori, to her room. It was bedtime and they both really needed to go sleep. His parent's insisted on helping out, but he didn't mind. He really liked Lori as he liked all his sister, having a special bond with each one of them. He soon brought Lori to her bed and tucked her nicely in...

Lincoln:"Okay, Lori. Sleep tight. I'll be right across the hall as always."

Lori:"(sleepily) Mmm, thanks Linky. You're a good..(yawns)...brother."

Lincoln:"Goodnight, Lori. (kisses her on the cheek)"

Leaving the room and closing the door behind him, Lincoln started to make his way to his own room. But then, he started to hear some strange noises coming downstairs and decides to cheek it out. It sound like something knocking on wood, the door to be exact, and with curiosity getting the better of him, Lincoln moves closer to it, hearing the knocking soon turn to pounding, growing louder and louder. It was scarring Lincoln, because it felt as if someone was trying to break the door down. He almost moved away, wanting to head back to his room and took one more inch towards...and then it flew open. Lincoln was blinded by a shining light, but soon felt a pair of arms grab hold of him, grabbing hold of his face and making him drift into unconsciousness...

...And then Lincoln woke up. A 21 one year old man, in his king-sized bed in the master bedroom...in a puddle of his own sweat. Lincoln breathed heavily as he tried to recover from that dream. He tries not to dream so much, as most weren't as pleasant as others, reminding him of how he came to feel...alone once before. But this was different, it was almost as if it was a repressed memory, something of his past wanting to be uncovered. But right now, he figures he just needs a snack. As he heads down to the kitchen, he soon hears the back door that leads to the garden open and turns his head to see his parents, Lynn Sr. and Rita come in, wearing robes and dripping on the floor. All three of them were wide-eyed to see each other this late at night...

Rita:"Lincoln? What are you doing up this late?"

Lincoln:"I couldn't sleep, so I was just getting a snack...what were you guys doing?"

Lynn Sr.:"Oh, you know. Just...taking a late night stroll...because we couldn't sleep either."

Lincoln:"(looks down) Why are you two wet?"

Rita:"Uuuuhhh..."

Lincoln:"Were you...were you using the pool outside in the garden?"

Lynn Sr.:"...Maybe."

Lincoln:"...You do know that pool is only for decoration, right?"

Lynn Sr.:"Why would you have a pool that's only for decoration?"

Lincoln:"It came with the house, and I never used it."

Rita:"Right. One of the many benefits of being rich, huh?"

Lincoln:"Something like that."

Rita:"Well, I guess we'll just go to sleep now."

Lincoln:"Hold on. Let me ask you to something."

Lynn Sr.:"What is it?"

Lincoln:"Before I disappeared ten years ago, when was the last time you saw me?"

Lynn Sr.:"Oh. Well, you were...taking Lori to bed. We were already asleep and thought you going to sleep as well. But, the next day, you were nowhere to be found."

Lincoln:"I see."

Rita:"Is something wrong, Lincoln?"

Lincoln:"...I'll tell you in the morning."