Chapter 39: The Awakening

I wake up with a jerk. My head hurts, which makes sense seeing as I just used up most of my magic to open up the earth.

But you know, no biggie.

I have to put my hands up in front of my eyes to cover them from the blinding light. Wait a minute.

Light?

I should be in a cave.

I squint my eyes and look down at my body only to see a hospital gown.

In normal circumstances I would appreciate the warm covers but at this point the only thing going through my mind is:

This has got to be a joke.

"Lillian! Lillian she's awake!" I hear my dad's voice call. And to top it all off, he's calling for my mother.

What a cruel nightmare.

"I'm not even going to try to believe that this is true." I giggle humorlessly to myself. I start pinching my arms to prove to myself that I'm dreaming.

Sadly, it hurts.

"Amelie, sweetheart, are you quite all right?" My mother says, but her voice is distant, drowned out by the screaming in my head.

This can't be real. This can't be real. This can't be real. I press both of my hands on my ears clutching them tightly. It's a dream. It's a dream. It's a dream. I feel someone put their hand on my shoulder. I can hear incoherent voices talking over each other. But not the one voice I'm asking for. The voice I need to hear to stay safe. The voice of the man I love.

"Christopher." I whimper. "Christopher."

"She's calling for the boy." I hear my mother say.

I shove whoever was holding me off of me. I feel the fire burn in my gut. Begging for release.

I have to go.

I push myself off the bed, pulling back the covers and ignoring the numbness in my legs, threatening to make me collapse on myself.

I ignore the fact that the room is spinning as I run out of there, my parents at my heels.

Luckily, they are no match for my speed and strength. I push nurses, doctors and people out of my way as I run through the hospital corridors.

The same hospital I was in on my eighteenth birthday.

The halls are the same, clattered with people and hospital beds, windows giving in to rooms with patients.

I'm almost at the exit when I feel a strong hand grasp my arm, pulling me into the person's chest. I immediately melt into them.

"Hey, princess."

I almost burst into tears.

It's a dream. It's just a dream.

No, it isn't. Christopher says as he strokes my hair gently.

What am I doing here? I ask, my voice weak.

I brought you to a hospital on earth, at first for a practical joke but it seems it wasn't a promising idea. He says.

I laugh feebly, although the sound is muffled by his chest. I thought it was a dream. When I woke up, I thought everything we went through was merely a dream.

It wasn't. His voice is gruff.

I'm suddenly aware of the fact that we are in a hospital, and that my parents are most likely watching our every move.