Chapter 31: I'm sorry

"What do you mean, King?" I ask, lifting my head up from the safety of my first love's neck.

"His parents are dead." Tristan answers coldly.

"How?"

"He won't say. We just know that the rebels had nothing to do with it." Bellona responds.

"Okay then. Where is-"

Change

Great.

I'm- he's- in the dining room. Sitting next to an empty chair with a plate of devoured hydra eggs-

This is a flashback to our first breakfast in Hell when he told me about why we had to do it-when he lied to me.

I feel fire curl around my fingertips, in the real world, from my simmering rage.

"I'll go after her." He says hurriedly as he pushes his chair back.

"Wait." The Devil lifts up a hand and time seems to still around him. "Sit down, we have to talk without her hearing."

"She can hear us, dad." Christopher rolls his eyes.

"No, she cannot. I've stilled time, she won't notice, nobody will and there's a sound barrier around us. Sit down." The Devil- ex Devil- says calmly.

Christopher reluctantly sits down, although his eyes keep darting back to the door. "What do we need to talk about?" He asks impatiently.

"You need to convince her to marry you." His mother said with her usual softness although her smirk was quite unsettling.

"I can't do that. It's her decision regardless of the power we would possess."

"You can and you will." His mother says with an unusual bite in her words.

"No. I won't."

Then all of a sudden, Christopher was gasping for air and he was holding his throat for dear life. "Jeanne! Stop choking the boy!" His father growls.

She didn't, she instead got up from her chair and stalked to her suffering son. "I've lost too many children already, I've been in this horrifying universe for too long, and I want out." She snarls in her son's face.

Those words made something break in me. Children- she lost children.

"I c-can't." He managed to rasp.

"Jeanne that is enough!" The Devil shot to his feet instantly, trying to grab his wife, something in her must've snapped into place because she immediately let go of her heir.

"You can't make me."

"If you don't marry her soon, I won't kill her, since that would kill you in the process, no, I will find everyone she cared about on her idiotic planet, and I'll bring them here, and torture them right in front of your little princess. Don't think your powers could stop mine, I've been alive for thousands of years, boy." The Devil snarled a warning, but she continued with her usual sweetness, which just made everything so much more threatening. "Understood?"

"I won't let you-" He growled.

"That's cute." She laughed bitterly. "I may not be able to stop your magic, but I can contain it, you are both no match."

Christopher sent a blast of fire her way, but it merely bounced off an invisible wall that had been put at hand's length all around him. "Find a way to make her stay, or I'll break her for good."

I felt something whimper in Christopher's chest. His wolf most likely.

"I'll kill you." He says softly.