C24: Tell Me I'm Hearing This Right.

. . .

The drive to the hospital had Shawn and me in a panic. I might've run a stop sign or two but it wasn't intentional. Besides we were both practically dripping wet from the pool, I didn't give us enough time to dry off. All I could think of was how scared Eric was alone waiting for news of his brother. I should've been there the whole time but instead, I decided to lolly-gag. I knew I was going to have to apologize for a long while for this one.

Did I park it correctly? No. Did Shawn stay behind to fix my parking? Yes.

According to Eric's text, he was in room 304 so I hopped on the elevator without hesitation. Shawn was just going to have to catch up.

Not even deciding to knock before entering the room I was quickly met by Eric's soft brown eyes, a little bit teary. I could see a suitcase on the seat next to him, only meaning that his dad was there too.

"Eric!" I whine speed walking toward him. He didn't look so happy to see me but that just could've been the circumstances on which we were here. Yup, I'm going to go with that one instead of him disliking me right now.

I could also see that the hospital bed was empty which made my heartbeat inside my chest at 5000 miles per second. They say to never think negative but boy those are the only kind of thoughts that ran through my mind.

"Henry, oh my god," I gasp stopping in my tracks, bracing to hear the worst.

"He's fine," Eric mumbled tapping his fingers against his knees. "They're pumping his stomach some more,"

"What happened?" I ask sitting in the empty seat beside him. I made sure I kept a little distance between us though, he was in no mood to close to me I'm betting.

Eric groaned a bit, leaning his head back against the wall. "The little idiot bought himself a bad batch of pills. Can you believe that? My brother trying to get high off pills? For fucksake when I catch the bastards that sold it to him they're dead,"

Eric then lowered his head in his lap. "This is my fault. He knows I used to get high, you know he saw me high off my ass once right? I didn't mean for him to see, I didn't know he'd still be awake. He looks up to me and he probably did it to be like me,"

"It's not your fault," I place my hand on his shoulder comfortingly forgetting my distance thoughts from moments ago. "Just be glad you found him when you did, I'm sorry I didn't get your calls sooner,"

To my surprise, Eric lifted his hand to mine and squeezed it gently. Oh wow, I guess he wasn't as mad as I thought.

"My dad blames me," He sighed turning his head to the side to place a sweet kiss to my hand. "You know he's in debt right? All those sneaky days out the house he was going to job interviews for a second job, we need the cash. I had no idea how we're even going to afford this hospital bill,"

"How long has this been going on?" I ask. "I'm sure if I ask my parents they'd lend you guys some money,"

Eric shook his head. I knew he wouldn't accept my offer, he wasn't the type for handouts, but I had to try anyway.

"I'm going to have to get a job," Eric said as he laid himself against my chest. Aw, my baby having to work for his father's crimes? That's just sick. Although, Eric in any uniform is a sight for sore eyes. I'm getting beside myself, focus Darren!

"Wait, how? Between school and football? There's no time," I say finding plot holes in his solution.

He kept quiet for a minute before continuing. "I have to quit football,"

"Huh?" I questioned, pretty sure my face turned into a question mark by how confused I was. "Eric your scholarship is for football, without football, there's no scholarship which means there's no college, free college at that!"