C2: Tell Me My Past Has Returned.

•+•+•

Walking into East Central High was a weird feeling for me. This was my last first day of high school ever and I couldn't say that I wouldn't miss it. Even with all the bad days, this is literally where I spent most of my teenage years. Where I learned to love and accept myself, it all happened right in these halls. As much as I liked to say I hated high school it just wouldn't be true.

"So you're still going through with this?" Avery tried talking me out of my whole avoid Eric plan. Avery wasn't even supposed to know, but I forgot once I told L.J something Avery was bound to know and vice versa.

"It's just a little test, it isn't hurting anyone," I shrugged as we walked side by side down the hallway towards the auditorium. It was the first day of classes which meant everyone had to report there to retrieve our school schedules for the year.

I disliked it so much. I just didn't see why East Central couldn't be like a normal high school and send us our schedules by mail. It was always too crowded and it took forever to get to the W's even with half the staff handing stuff out.

We usually didn't stand in line, seniors gathered at the top of the bleachers and waited until they called our letters. Once we entered I caught sight of L.J, Logan, Eric and Shawn up top chatting away. It made me think of how much everyone had changed over the summer. L.J no longer had her short hair, she was now sporting the long straight kind of look. Avery was now a blonde and boy did she rock it I could point out fifteen guys looking at her in the room right now.

Logan dyed his brown hair black, meanwhile, Shawn had kept things normal still sporting his curly brown hair. The whole still hanging out with Shawn thing made me iffy. Eric told me to forgive him because love can make you do crazy things, blah, blah. Besides if he could forgive him why couldn't I? Out of respect for both Eric and Logan, I say hi and bye every now and then but you'd never catch me hanging out with him outside of our friend group.

"We can't go up there," I grabbed Avery by her arm and stopped her mid-step. "Eric,"

Snatching her arm back from me she straightened herself out. "You think I'm about to go sit with the lower classmen just because you're being a dumbass?"

"Yes?" I pouted out my lip hoping she'd join me.

"Wrong," She playfully bopped my nose with her index finger. "But if it helps I'll tell him I haven't seen you,"

Grabbing her arm again I sighed. "Do you really want to go? Both of our exes are up there I say we not torture ourselves,"

"Darren you and Shawn dated for legit three minutes, besides Logan and I are fine. We're friends," she reassured me and I had no fighting points left. Was she really going to make me endure this alone? Some best-friend she is.

Letting her go I rolled my eyes watching her leave. I had to dodge behind some random kids so Eric wouldn't spot me trying to scurry to the other end of the auditorium.

He had been texting me since this morning and of course, I was responding because in college all we'd have is texting. I needed to test him on not being able to see me, not non-communication.

Avery was right though, sitting with the underclassmen was weird. They gave off vibes of high school hopefulness that'll only be crushed in the years to come. You could say I felt sorry for them because I was once them. Freshman Darren was a whole mess. I once got my first day of school outfit ready six days before I went. Looking at my pair of sweats, slides, and the plain black hoodie that I'm wearing now freshman Darren would be upset.