chapter 29 - coffee and confessions

10 Hours Away

The following day, Mrs. Jones expected me early in the morning. Seeing her for the second time was anything but eventful, but I couldn't escape her. She had become a part of my writing journey, so it was time for me to accept her commentary on my work – despite being somewhat anxious.

To be fully prepared for our meeting, I had printed what I had come up with and put it safely in one of my binders. My work laid on my lap as I patiently waited on Mrs. Jones to tell me to come inside. My nerves were often getting the better on me since my hands were sweaty or I began to bite my lip.

While more time passed by, I started to question myself; had I shown up too early? Or had I shown up too late? Was it even Friday?

But when I checked my phone to see the time and date, I saw I hadn't made a mistake. It was Friday and I had made it on time. Perhaps Mrs. Jones was talking to another participant and couldn't dismiss him yet.

On the other hand, she was very punctual. Mrs. Jones didn't give anyone extra time unless it had been scheduled.

Just when I was about to get up and knock on her door, I spotted Logan walking towards me. He hadn't seen me until I called his name. I was glad to see him coming over to me.

"I didn't think I'd see you here, Liz." he said.

"I'm still enrolled in the program." I mentioned playfully.

"I wasn't referring to that." he replied with a laugh at the end. "Mrs. Jones has been out of office since yesterday."

"What?" I asked.

"I assume you don't know. . ." Logan pointed out.

"No." I breathed out. "Didn't she tell anyone?"

"She did. I heard she sent her pupils an email three days in advance. Mrs. Jones even rescheduled all her appointments." he shared. "You didn't get her message, did you?"

"I knew she hated me." I spat bitterly.

"She doesn't hate you, Liz." Logan told me.

"Then why wouldn't she send me an email? We started off on the wrong foot, she hated my work from the beginning, and now she forgot to tell me she's out of town." Anger was seeping through my pores.

I couldn't believe this woman. How dare she not stick to our appointment. I had worked exceptionally hard to finish the document in time. Was this deadline a joke to her?

"I guess I'm going back to my apartment." I pointed out before emitting a long sigh. Then I gathered my bag and jackets, so I could get out.

"Don't go home, Liz." Logan said and I stopped in my tracks. "She might not be here to discuss your work, but I am." he pointed out. "We can go through your new story if you want? I have read everything after you emailed it to me."

"You did?" I was perplexed; he had taken an interest in my work.

"I have always been curious about your writing. I couldn't help but read it when I received it." Logan spoke enthusiastically. "Maybe we can grab some coffee while we are it? There's nothing better than to discuss someone's writing with the right amount of caffeine."

"I like that." I said.

"Let me get my jacket and notes. Meet me downstairs in five?"

"I will be there." I let him know happily.

After a ten-minute walk, we reached the famous Writers Lounge. There had been a few times I had heard participants talk about this, but I never thought it existed.