chapter 03 - on my mind

10 Hours Away

Now and then, some people would have the audacity to complain about my love life. Why didn't I ever bring someone home with me? Why did I not want to date someone permanently? Why was I so afraid to have a one-night stand?

Was I going to explain to everyone in detail why I decided not to? Hell, no. For years I stuck to what I thought was best for me and only this time, this one time, Noah was the exception.

When we arrived at my apartment, I asked if he wanted to stay a little bit longer and it pleased me he said yes. We opened a bottle of red wine and sat down on my windowsill. He asked me all kinds of questions. Whether it was about my country, my hometown, my friends or family, there wasn't a moment he seemed bored to talk to me.

As time passed by, it was getting light outside. People were calling out for cabs and others were speed-walking to make it to work on time, so we decided to call it a night.

Noah was ready to head back home, but I couldn't let go of him yet.

"You can stay the night, if you want to." I said.

His hand was already on the doorknob, but he hadn't turned it around. "Do you want that?" he wondered.

"You must be tired." I pointed out – ignoring his question. It would be stupid of me to say I wanted him to stay longer. I didn't want to sound desperate.

"I am, yeah."

"Let me get you a toothbrush." I replied, and walked inside the bathroom to get him all set.

The mirror, which hung above the sink, made it possible for me to see Noah's reflection. He had made himself comfortable in the living room. His jacket laid next to him as he began to untie his shoes. I quietly locked the door, so I could get myself ready for the night.

After I had brushed my teeth and slipped into a large shirt, I walked out of the bathroom. I hated how clammy my hands had gotten when I saw he had adjusted the pillows on the couch – he had decided to sleep without me.

"You know that you don't have to sleep on the couch, right?" I spoke up. "My bed is big enough for the two of us. We'll both have enough space." I added.

"I can sleep on the couch, Liz. It's no big deal." he assured.

"Okay." I said, and pressed my lips together into a thin line. "I've put your toothbrush in a glass. It's on the sink."

"Thank you." he said and stood up.

A weak smile crossed my features. "Goodnight, Noah." I said faintly.

"Night, Liz."

Once he passed me to enter the bathroom, I made my way to the bedroom. Instead of crawling underneath the soft sheets, I had left the door of my bedroom somewhat ajar to observe him circumspectly. There was something about him walking around my apartment so confidently, it intrigued me.

Somehow, I was unacquainted with this feeling in the pit of my stomach. Perhaps this particular sensation was caused because I offered Noah to stay the night, and I barely let anyone stay over so nonchalantly. Or it was provoked because he made me feel at ease, and such thing barely happened after I just met someone.

I sighed and pulled at the hem of my shirt before I reached out to my nightstand. I wanted to turn the light off, but was distracted by Noah knocking on my bedroom door.

"Is the offer still on the table?" he asked as he pointed towards the bed.

I was stunned by his question. I hadn't expected him to walk inside of my bedroom because I thought he was going to fall asleep on the couch. However, I didn't mind his sudden appearance. I was glad I didn't have to spend another night on my own in New York City.