chapter 67 - story of us

10 Hours Away

I observed the key I was holding in the palm of my hand.

To be able to enter Noah's home without having him opening the front door, felt weirdly exhilarating. He had given me his key because he wanted me to have access to his place at any time of the day, which somebody had never done. But it felt right to have his key. I wouldn't want to have somebody else's.

Unlocking the front door and entering his apartment, it didn't feel like I didn't belong here because there wasn't a voice in my head demanding me I should turn around and return the key straight away.

On the contrary, I was totally comfortable. As if being there was the last piece of the puzzle, and it all finally fell in place.

I kicked my shoes off and put my tote bag on the couch before I sat down and let it all sink in.

Not having Dylan and Noah around, made this space very quiet but it was calming. I didn't feel out of place.

Smiling at myself, pride washed over me.

It might be strange to feel proud of yourself when you're in someone else's home, but it all made sense to me. To be here, to be in his home, had all happened because I had opened my heart for somebody; something that took a lot of courage.

With an effortless swipe, I had unlocked my phone and dialed my brother because, after our recent call, we had promised each other to keep more in touch.

The many miles between us made us closer than we had ever been.

"I thought I had to call you next?" Joshua said after picking up.

I was happy to hear his voice again. "I couldn't wait." I addressed. "How has your day been?"

"You know, the usual. I went to work, visited grandma, and then drove to mom and dad to join them for dinner."

"Too lazy to cook something yourself?"

"Of course! They offer it for free, so why would I decline it?"

"Please keep this between you and me, but I sometimes miss mom's cooking skills."

"How's that possible? She's got none?" Joshua was quick in his reponse.

"Yeah, I know, but I kinda crave it now and then."

"I bet you'll change your mind when you're back." Joshua replied, and I grinned at his comment. "I have been wanting to ask you something, though."

"No, you can't borrow my spare charger."

"Damnit, how did you know?"

"Because you always forget yours when you visit mom and dad."

"Touché."

"Are you still with them?" I asked.

"No, but I could still use your charger. I left mine at work." Joshua said. "If you would've given me permission to borrow it, I'd have rushed away from my driveway."

"You're on your driveway?" I wondered.

"Yes, I am. Parked the car beautifully, if I say so myself." he said.

"Afraid to get out?"

"Maybe. Who knows I might get abducted."

"I doubt they want you up there."

"Hey! I'm fun to talk to."

"Something I discovered after years."

"Which is understandable, because we were obliged to go through the I-don't-like-my-sibling phase." Joshua clarified. "But, seeing we have recently outgrown that phase, you're allowed to admit I'm fun to talk to."