chapter 72 - grieving

10 Hours Away

I had forgotten to turn my phone around and lower the intensity of my screen so as it faced the ceiling and the bright screen lightened up the room, I woke up. I didn't mind that Mia's text was the reason why my eyes weren't closed anymore because her message said she had gotten a call from one of the nurses, telling her Carter was doing great and we could visit him today.

I hadn't expected the latter because he needed to recover, but I was glad we were given the chance to see him today. A sense of exuberance hit me when I unlocked the phone and turned to Noah.

I tried waking him up gently.

"Mia texted me. We can see Carter today." I told him in a hushed tone as I tried my best to get him to open his eyes.

And I succeeded. He yawned, rubbed his eyes, and then looked at me. "That's wonderful news." he said sleepily. "When do you have to be there?"

"I don't know yet."

"Perfect because I can use some more sleep." Noah pulled me to his body and closed his eyes directly.

"Noah." I spoke.

"Liz." he responded shortly.

"We can see Carter." I said once more.

His eyes found mine. "I know, babe." he attested. "You want to see Carter, but you also need to get some sleep. It's only six am, Liz. You need more sleep after last night."

"How can I fall asleep when I know I can see him now?"

"By telling yourself you'll see him in a couple of hours." Noah said, looking at me with sympathy. "He'll still be there when we visit him, Liz. There are visiting hours we have to stick to. We can't just show up at six in the morning when he's stable and needs to sleep as well." Noah explained to me calmly and I understood why he did. If he hadn't talked in a composed manner then I would've felt attacked, because the adrenaline rush I got from Mia's message was the reason why I wanted to go as soon as possible.

"Let's get some sleep then." I agreed in a murmur.

Peace washed over me when his lips touched my forehead fondly. I cuddled up against him and sealed my eyes to get the rest I needed, which worked out.

I had been fast asleep for a couple more hours but found myself waking up by the sound of someone knocking on Noah's bedroom door.

Opening my eyes, I saw Noah scrolling on his phone and heard him replying to the one on the other side of the door.

"Do you guys need anything? Breakfast?" Dylan asked.

"Can you rustle up two cups of coffee for Liz and I?" Noah was quick to answer.

"Sure. Will be ready in ten minutes." he said and their conversation had ended.

Once Dylan had disappeared, Noah moved his focus to me. An affectionate smile covered his face when he saw I had opened up my eyes.

"Look who's awake." he spoke teasingly. Noah came closer and started placing countless kisses on my face. "Are you glad you stayed in bed for a while longer?"

"More than happy." I said and he looked fulfilled. "I needed it more than I thought I did." I allowed myself to come clean.

"I noticed." Noah whispered, his face was inches from mine.

"I'm glad you stop me when I can't seem to do it myself." I silently revealed. "Sometimes my lines are blurred and I act without thinking."

"We are all irrational at times." Noah stated, making little noise.