chapter 17 - give it a try

10 Hours Away

I had never left a room so fast.

It wouldn't surprise me if everyone thought I was weird for walking away after Logan Hill ended our first meeting. One of the writers advocated to get coffee as a group, but it was clear to them I wasn't in the mood to join.

While I was speed-walking to the main entrance of the building, I nearly fell down the stairs. Out of all the options I had, I decided to flee as fast as I could.

Then I recognized Mia. She was looking at me from a small distance and concern was written on her face.

"You look like you're about to scream." Mia said after she walked up to me.

"I might scream." I glowered.

"What has happened?" she asked as we began to walk.

"She's in the damn group, Mia. The girl Noah is with." I complained.

Mia's eyes widened when the news hit her. "No way! She's a writer?"

"Apparently." I huffed. "Who would've thought."

Mia opened her umbrella when the rain started to fall from the grey sky. "Have you talked to her?" she questioned me in a civil way.

"No, I haven't." I replied. "I've tried so hard to be paired up with someone else during all the activities." I explained. "I'm not going again next week."

I wasn't going to put myself through hell once more.

"You can't just give up like that, Liz." Mia said.

I was mazed. "Why not? I don't want to be in a room with her."

"But you need the extra help from Logan." she stated earnestly as she tried to keep up with me.

I had no idea why I still had the urge to move so fast. We were already elsewhere - surprisingly far away from the building to save me from seeing her.

"Liz, slow down, please." Mia clamored as she stopped in her tracks.

I looked over my shoulder to see her catching her breath – I really had been stuck in this speed-walking mentality.

Tardily, I got closer to her.

"It's clear you feel threatened by her and I completely understand why." Mia noted. "All of us know people who somehow make us feel less content about ourselves. But she's in the group for the exact same reason as you – to become more confident about your writing."

"But she's distracting me."

"She isn't distracting you, Liz." Mia told me firmly. "The thought of her with Noah is what keeps you from thinking straight. Why can't you get that?"

This was the first time Mia sounded fed up with my actions.

There was something about the way the words fell from her lips, it made me want to get away. I didn't want to be stuck in the middle of the pavement, because I didn't know how to respond or act towards her.

I was disappointed at myself for getting us into this unwanted position.

"I think it's better if I'm going to get some coffee alone." I let her know. My voice was shaky and I was anything but strong at this point.

I couldn't get into an argument with her. I didn't want to get into an argument with Mia.

She solely nodded and let me go.

I was hidden in the back of the café with my notebook in front of me. The page was empty and I had just finished my third cup of coffee. The caffeine wasn't kicking in anymore, because there was already too much in my body.