(19) Such Sweet Sorrow

Start from the beginning

"I was training," Rose called out from the doorway, grabbing her key and shutting it behind her.

Her mother shook her head, turning down back to the steak.she was preparing for dinner. "Always with the training, you're gonna get hurt someday."

"Hey, training is good for her. There's no way she can make it without lots of hard training." Her father walked in contradicting his wife and patting Rose on the back. "Keep it up. You're doing good for now but don't get sloppy. You'll make us proud, right mijita?"

"Yeah papi, so can she come over later?" She flashed a pleading smile to her mom.

"The Evangeline girl?" Her mother hummed in thought to herself. "I don't know; you've been spending a lot of time with her."

Her father chimed in, "Oh come on, she's a good kid and of course they would be together a lot, she's her meister after all-"

"She's not my meister. I still haven't asked her and she might not even be interested." Rose leaned on the kitchen counter while her mom pet her hair.

"Oh Tullita, don't stress over it. Just explain its your custom to fight along side someone, and you would like that special someone to be her."

Rose smiled a little at the comfort but frowned while leaning her head on the counter. "Yeah but she's not used to all the customs and traditions. I'm the only one at school with a destined use for my quirk. I just don't know how to talk about it. Do I even have to say anything?"

" 'ey you're Cuban, you always gotta say whats on your mind. Then you say it louder, until your asked to leave the restaurant." Her father laughed and gave her a "shake it off" pat on the back.

Her mother shook her head and lifted Rose's chin up to kiss her on the head. "It'll be ok, just be yourself. Now go, she can come over for dinner."
Rose gave her a tiny thank you smile and ran off to her room.

"That Evangeline girl is gonna be a great hero for her. I just wish you wouldn't coddle her and let our daughter make something of herself." The father shook his head with disappointment and leaned against the fridge.

"Well I wish you wouldn't pressure her so much about it and just let her decide if she even wants to do hero work. Shes a kid, she doesn't need to be worrying about her life at this age." The mother argued.

"Alejandra, you say that like she has a choice." He almost laughed at the outrageous imply. "Look it would be different if she had some other quirk, but come on, mamita, shes a weapon. And weapons are only good for one thing."

"Mateo I just...I just care about her." She looked down and wiped her eyes with a soft sniff.

"Oh bella bella bella...mi alma no te preocupes, todo va a estar bien. todo estará bien," Mateo shushed her and hugged his wife from behind while assuring her things will be alright and not to worry.

◻ ◻ ◻

Rose paced around in her small room for a while, rehearsing what she would say, until she got a series of eager knocks on her door. Rose opened it to greet her smiling friend.

"Dude we did it!" Clover ran in past her jumping up and down.

"Did what?" Rose asked having to put a hand on her shoulder to calm her down. Clover held a bright and excited smile while answering, "Our applications for UA! Rose they said we're good to take the exams next month!!!"