Chapter 14

Fiora nodded. This was the first civil conversation they had ever had and Rafael felt...nervous. 

He pulled over the chair that was resting by the vanity and Fiora sat daintily on the edge of the bed. “Perhaps I should begin-” 

Fiora cut him off instantly “Must I marry you still?” 

Rafael felt his heart plummet instantly and just opened and closed his mouth.

“There is nothing binding me any longer...” She interrupted again. “With my mother...gone.” 

“No Fiora, I will not force you to marry me.” Rafael breathed looking into her amber eyes. 

Her face instantly showed relief and she relaxed at bit, sagging into the bed. Rafael watched her relief and couldn’t help but clench his fist in anger. 

“That being said, I don’t think you have much of a life to return to. So I believe staying here would be your only option.” Rafael swiftly cut in. 

“No, I will not stay here!” Fiora’s face reddened with anger. "I have the farm to go back to." 

“You have no parents and no money. Due to the fact that you have not payed taxes your house has been claimed, as well as your farm. Unless you can find a way to buy back your house from me...” Rafael watched her face grow helpless as his plan unfolded. 

“You can’t...” Fiora mumbled trying to quickly grasp her situation. 

“On the other hand, you are welcome to stay here. I shall not charge you for boarding or meals.” Rafael smiled knowing she was trying to work some other deal out in her head. 

“No, I will not live here with you!” Fiora cried standing up and placing defiant hands on her hips.

 "It is not with me persay, you'll be more like a guest here at the royal palace." 

No!" She shook her head sharply.

“Then you will have to become a beggar on the streets, which is consequently against the town law and thus you shall be arrested by my guards and brought back here.” 

Fiora opened and closed her mouth like a fish out of water. 

“So really you have the choice of either staying here as my guest or a prisoner in the dungeons.” Rafael fought back a devilish smile. “It’s your choice.” 

Fiora looked about ready to scream, he could tell she was trying to find a loop hole in his plan. But it hardly mattered what she found a flaw in because he was the King and anything he said goes. He just wanted to make it seem as if there was no other options available to her. 

She opened her mouth as if to say something then closed it looking utterly defeated. 

“Fine. But there are some conditions!” 

Rafael chuckled “I out of the goodness of my heart am allowing you to stay in my castle, saving you from the streets and you want to make demands of me?” 

Fiora merely brushed off what he said “I will not be locked up any longer, I want to be able to roam the castle of my free will and I want nothing to do with you.” She finished adding extreme emphasis to “you”. 

Rafael thought a moment then said “You will have your freedom to roam and you shant even catch a mere glimpse of me.” He stood up and made an elegant bow. 

For what he had planned, she would soon be begging for not just a glimpse of him but much, much more. The game had only just begun.