THIRTY~EIGHT - The Return (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

"Why?"

"Because if word gets out about what we found, looters will be there before the CF can secure the island. We wouldn't want anyone to step on the transmutation and spread the gold."

"Ah," said Scarlett. "Just so."

Zenetra found Inspector Hatwig resting in her room and informed her about the radio transmission. Within a quarter of an hour, and after Inspector Hatwig had spoken directly with UDF Radio Tower, everyone gathered in the mess hall to hear the news.

"Reapers are near the eastern island marker, so they will be on us in about a day, pending the weather," said Inspector Hatwig. "They won't drop provisions because Reapers aren't designed to carry much else than the captain and winger, but they will tug us home. Thankfully, they're fast. Once they meet us here, it should only take three days to get home. Cadet Noire and Ms. Burn were right not to mention the island. We can't have everyone with an airship heading for it."

James turned to Nibbs. "Do we have enough food?"

Nibbs knocked James with his elbow good-naturedly. "We've still got rice and beans. We can stretch it. And I haven't opened the pickled eggs yet."

James made a yacking sound at the back of his throat. "Do you want me to lose my appetite?"

"Pickled eggs are good!"

"Gross," added Raoul.

They ate as little as possible without going to bed hungry. The last of the vegetables were made into a thin, watery soup. Nibbs, Carver, Onnan, and Healer Pilluck ate the pickled eggs for breakfast while the others finished off what porridge remained. They opted out of having lunch, snacking instead on strips of salted meat.

With no brass bell to ding, Raoul shouted when he sighted the Reapers. "They're here! They found us!"

Two Reapers, flown by the bravest of the brave, had entered the Triad to find them. While Sunray and other, larger airships resembled seafaring vessels, Reapers and their Windrider cousins took a form that was much more birdlike. They had a nose and a tail, and horizontal wings instead of vertical sails. Because Tiva Bilberry, a woman who descended from a family famous for their fuchsia-colored hair and strong magical bloodline, invented Reapers, the airships were painted with a streak of fuchsia down the belly.

As Zenetra watched them circle overhead, she felt a pang of anguish. Tilde had wanted to become a Reaper. "More than anything," she had said in the archival basement.

Because Reapers could not land in water, the two flying above lowered clunky metal hooks to those aboard Sunray. Carver attached them to the front of their airship and with a wave from him, the Reapers took off back the way they came, touting Sunray behind. They gained speed and cut through choppy waves until Scarlett closed the ventilation and the gas accumulated enough to make the airship rise from the Ghost Sea.

It took three and a half days for them to return to the UDF. They ate Nibbs' beans and rice, though their anticipation gnawed away any real appetite. Inspector Hatwig spent most of her time talking to UDF Radio Tower. At the end of the third day, as the sun set behind them, she called for a meeting.

"We will be arriving in a few hours. Commissioner Fokle will have roamers waiting at the docks to take us straight to Core Clinic. No one is allowed to sneak off home without being discharged by the healers." Inspector Hatwig said this to the group at large, but Zenetra could tell it was more or less expressly aimed at her. "The announcement of our survival won't be done until we have arrived at the clinic. This is for our privacy and our safety."

"You mean the Noire girl's safety," spat Onnan. "Fokle couldn't care less about the rest of us."

Healer Pilluck flicked through another magazine she had doubtlessly read before. "Careful, Garryk. There is a lot of open water between here and port. Wouldn't want you to fall overboard so close to home. And at night, too, when no one would find you."

"You're license will be mine," Onnan threatened.

Healer Pilluck licked her finger and continued to page through her old magazine.

"More on the subject of arrival," interjected Inspector Hatwig. "I would like to remind everyone about the confidentiality agreement."

Zenetra sighed.

James shared a look with Nibbs and Raoul before replying. "We won't say anything about Zenetra. Don't worry, Inspector."

"Yeah," added Raoul. "She's one of us."

Nibbs clapped Raoul on the back with a robust, "Attaboy!"

Scarlett peered at Zenetra with newfound interest. "Are you famous?"

At James' snort, Zenetra cast a mild glare in his direction. "A bit."

"Ah," said Scarlett very matter-of-factly. "Me too."

James snorted again, Raoul giggled, and then, to Scarlett's confusion, the room filled with laughter.

*********************

Preview for The Return, Part 2:

Zenetra receives a priceless gift from Inspector Hatwig while the Reapers tug them into port.

Author's Note: I've broken my last chapter into four sections for easier reading on Wattpad.

If you've enjoyed this story, please leave it as many stars as there are chapters so that others can know if this is a well written, engaging story.