THIRTY~NINE - The Return (Part 2)

As they neared the UDF, Inspector Hatwig beckoned Zenetra to join her in her room.

"Here, Cadet." She offered Zenetra her set of daggers. Red bits of metal, a signature marking of Iron Rose, caught the firestone light and flickered as if embers remained embedded in the dark steel.

"They're very beautiful, Inspector." Zenetra handed them back.

Instead of taking her daggers, Inspector Hatwig riffled through one of her bags and produced a concoction of leather straps. She began to fit them around Zenetra's waist without warning.

"What are you—?"

Inspector Hatwig tightened the contraption and took one of the daggers. "This one," she said, indicating the weapon, "goes in this slot."

Zenetra barely felt the weight of the weapon. The blade was completely concealed in leather, and could not harm her or damage any clothing.

"And this one," said Inspector Hatwig as she took the other dagger, "goes here."

Zenetra's sides now bore an equal balance of weight. The hilt of both weapons pressed uncomfortably against her stomach.

"Why do I need weapons?"

Inspector Hatwig's swollen face was still an ugly shade of dark green, but a sliver of her eye had opened. She gave Zenetra a stern look. "Earlier, UDF Radio Tower sent a warning. Somehow, word got out that we've been found. A mob has formed at port. We were hoping to avoid this."

"Have threats been made?"

"Against me," said Inspector Hatwig. "For not protecting you. Good thing I have a bodyguard."

Zenetra held out her hands. Though the blisters and burns were healing nicely, Healer Pilluck wanted them to stay wrapped. "I'm in no condition to protect anyone."

With a slight ironic melody in her tone, Inspector Hatwig touched the daggers and declared, "That was a joke, Cadet Noire. I'm giving these to you. To keep."

Zenetra blinked. "Inspector—! These are Iron Rose!"

"I'm sure they'll come in handy." Inspector Hatwig stepped back to observe the straps. "After I'm healed and my reports are in, I'll be requesting to join my fellow alchemists in studying the Island of Kimiya."

The shock of the gift swept away in an instant. "You're going back?"

Inspector Hatwig turned away to zip up her bags. "I should...It should be me who brings Constable Thorpe and Consta—er—Mimi home."

"I see." Zenetra fiddled with one of the straps on her waist. "You should know...in the mineshaft...there were things in the chest. More scrolls transmuted into gold. I didn't count how many."

Inspector Hatwig swiveled, her powder-blue coat flapping around her legs. "And you're only mentioning this now?"

"Apologies." Zenetra's voice took on an unintentional edge. "We've all been a bit preoccupied."

"You're right, Cadet. I'm sorry. When you're up for it, a report on what you found in the pyramid would be very helpful."

One advantage, if it could be called an advantage, to being the sole survivor of the fall down the mineshaft was that Zenetra could guarantee there would be no proof of Maj. There were scrolls and a cracked sphere, but no glowing purple light to prove such an existence.

"I'll be sure to get it to you as soon as I can, Inspector."

Someone rapped lightly on the door. "Enter!" commanded Inspector Hatwig, before the petite silhouette of Scarlett appeared in the doorframe.