55. BJ?

_________________________

.

.

.

"He's fine. Everybody's fine." Xander stated. "And now you should get some rest."

Joanne gave him a long look and finally said, "Who were those men and why do they want me dead?"

"It wasn't you, Jo. They-"

"They are the ones who stabbed Old Man that time." Xander's eyed widened as he heard it.

"And you are telling me this now?"

"Oh I am sorry, I was in surgery and then I was recovering from the anesthesia. I profusely apologize for that detail having slipped from my mind." She looked at him with red eyes, gritting her teeth.

"Jo..."

"Why do they want me dead?" She asked helplessly. "What did I ever do to them?"

Xander hugged her, unaware of the fact that she wasn't talking about his family's enemies but her own.

She had to pay the price to be born into the Blake family. Yes, she was rich and could have anything she ever wanted in the world but what use was any of it if she couldn't be with her family and there was constantly a target on her head.

And Joanne was panicking even more at the fact that someone wanted her head and that meant someone knew who she was.

But for some reason, she didn't want to tell Rodney. She didn't want to tell Rodney that maybe the identity that they had been trying to keep hidden for the past twenty-four years was out in the open.

Why was that? Joanne couldn't think of a possible reason for hiding this from her mother. But all she knew was that she was just going to find solace in her husband's arms now and not tell Rodney of this danger.

She knew that her mother would try to figure out who this was, even if she thought that the attack happened because Joanne was married to Xander. But Joanne didn't want her knowing people had figured out who she was.

Joanne sighed into her husband's chest and whispered, "I am sorry."

Xander looked down at her and raised a brow. "Joanne Xander King and sorry? That's new!"

Joanne looked up, narrowing her eyes, immediately forgetting half of her concern. "Excuse me? Unlike you, I don't have an ego the size of Mount Everest. I apologize when I know I am wrong."

"Are you saying I don't?"

It was her turn to roll her eyes. "You still haven't apologized for how you behaved in the morning." She pointed out.

"And what about what you did?"

"I was joking around. It's not my fault you can't take a joke!" Joanne sat up.

Xander rolled his eyes and pulled her back, making sure she didn't move her left arm and the sling as she laid back down with a huff.

"Just sleep. You have the whole day tomorrow to eat my brain." He sighed into her hair.

Joanne scrunched up her face. "Why the hell would you stay here the whole day?" Though inside, she had this tinkly feeling and slight joy that he was staying.

"Because my wife managed to get herself shot?"

Joanne let out a dramatic sigh. "In that case, I am just glad idiocy isn't contagious. It's the last thing I need right now."

Xander rolled his eyes. "Sleep."

.

.

.