Chapter 34 - Problems Solved

Evangeline's POV:
I stared at the doorway where the last person I wanted to see was standing, Jaguar Stancio.

“I have objections to this union.” He repeated. I looked at Erik and saw his eyes burning. I felt his hand clinch mine and then he released it. Slowly. The speed or lack thereof scared me. He was burning with wrath but it was completely under control. Completely. I reached for Erik's hand but he pushed it away. He slowly took a step toward Jaguar and said,

“Why are you here?” Jaguar took one step back but otherwise held his ground.

“I am here to get my lady. I am rescuing her from a monster.” Erik growled and started to pull something from his pocket. I tried to say something but Erik interrupted.

“What is she to you? She is my wife!” I felt the possessiveness of that tone and I smiled. I knew that Erik wouldn't ever let me go. It was a comforting thought, but at this moment it wasn't comforting for Jaguar.

“She is my lady! I am courting her!” I closed my eyes and wished for one moment that neither of them were so stubborn. I opened my eyes and gave Jaguar the run-for-your-life look but he ignored me. Then I saw the Punjab lasso in Erik's hands. I had to stop Erik. But before I could say a word, Erik pounced on Jaguar. A moment later the lasso was around his neck and I knew Erik would kill him in a moment.

“Erik, stop. Don't start this marriage with murder. Let us be married and leave.” Erik looked at me and slowly backed off Jaguar. He didn't take off his lasso though. He held the lasso with one hand and said with a growl,

“You make one move, Monsieur Stancio, and I will kill you. I will leave my Punjab lasso around your neck and one peep out of you and I will kill again.” Erik kept it tight around his neck as Enrique declared us man and wife. I knew Erik couldn't kiss me because of his mask so I kissed him on the cheek. I could see his eyes smiling. He removed his lasso from Jaguar's neck and said,

“Go on home. We are married now and you can't touch her.” Jaguar glared at me and fled. I took Erik's hand as he returned his lasso to his pocket. I slipped my arm around him and leaned against him. I was exhausted. He smiled and scooped me up in his arms. I yawned and Uncle Michael directed Erik to where I was to sleep. I didn't even bother to change out of my dress before collapsing into bed. A moment later Erik joined me. I curled up against his chest and fell asleep. It had been a long day.

I opened my eyes the next morning and found that I was alone in bed. I looked up and saw Erik pacing the floor. I gave him a weird look as I sat up. He stopped when he saw I was awake. His mask was on so I couldn't tell what he was thinking. I wanted it off now.

“Erik, take the mask off. No one will be coming in.” He sighed and pulled it off. I smiled as he tossed it to me. “What is wrong, Erik?” He sighed and sat down on the edge of the bed.

“We need to get back to the Opera Populaire. The longer I am outside that building the more likely I am to get caught. I can't risk it now. I need to keep you safe. As the wife of the Opera Ghost...” He trailed off. He realized what he had said. “Wife?” He whispered. I nodded. It seemed that for the first time since he had proposed that it finally struck him that he was a married man and had someone to love him. He pulled me over and kissed me.

“I am married.” I laughed and held him. He wrapped his arms around me and continued, “Well, as the wife of the Opera Ghost you could be in danger. I guess my dream will only partially come true. I have a wife but I won't ever have a house.” I laughed.

“Erik, when we get back we will have to start to look for a house. We will have a normal life.” Erik sighed and I could have sworn I saw a blush creep across his cheeks. He stuttered out.

“A-about the w-wedding n-night...” He trailed off. I laughed. He was so nervous. I hugged him closer.

“Let's wait until we get back to the Opera House. No one will interrupted us.” Erik raised his eyebrows and said,

“Well, than lets go home.” I smiled and an hour later we were headed north. North to home.