Chapter 4 - Home

Evangeline's POV:

I shifted slightly as I came out of unconsciousness. I looked down and realized that I was still in the chair I had fallen asleep in but now I was covered in a warm blanket. I stood up and shook myself. I was stiff but well rested. I looked around and saw Erik was sleeping in a chair over in the corner. I walked over to him and looked down. He had removed his coat and was only wearing a white undershirt which was slightly unbuttoned. I looked at him and realized how thin he really was. Thin to the point of gaunt. No wonder the ballerinas thought he was Death. He was shivering slightly so I threw my blanket over him and went to find the kitchen. I managed to locate one and fix something of a breakfast. I was singing softly to myself when I felt a presence in the room with me. I turned around and saw Erik standing in the doorway. His shirt was hanging slightly open and I could see the yellow tint of his skin very plainly. I didn't focus on it but said,

“Good morning. I hope you don't mine me fixing us some breakfast. I will have to return to the top soon so I thought I might make something to eat. Here,” I pulled the scrambled eggs off the stove and dished them out. I handed him a plate and he turned away. I knew what was wrong. I should have thought about it. It was his make. There was absolutely no way for him to eat with it completely on. I wanted to eat with him in the same room. I situated the chairs so my back was to him.

“Erik, I know you can't eat with the mask on. I also know you won't take it off. So, I will eat with my back to you if that would help you. I promise not to look.” Erik stared at me and then said,

“The Ballet Rat promises that she will not look?” I nodded.

“I promise.” He sighed.

“Then Erik will eat with her.” I smiled and took my place. I heard him sit down and we started to eat. It wasn't bad considering that I wasn't the best cook in the world. I finished and waited until Erik told me he had put his mask back on. I was curious to know what was behind it but I didn't want him to hate me before we had even gotten to know each other. I took the dishes to the sink and washed them out. Erik watched me from the doorway. I turned to look at him and leaned against the counter.

“Erik, you have some very bad habits. Why do you watch me like that? It is a little creepy.” He shifted and leaned against the opposite side of the door frame.

“Ballet Rat, why should I talk to you? I don't wish to speak to you. If I don't speak there is little that I can do other than watch you. I don't exactly have company that often.” I laughed.

“Well, I better be heading back up. They will be wanting me for the ballet rehersual. I will leave the book if you want to continue reading it. Take good care of it. I like that book a lot.” Erik nodded and guided me up the surface. I quickly dressed and ran to practice. No one even noticed I was gone.

Erik's POV:

I watched her skip away and I could almost imagine myself normal. I had woken up that morning and found a blanket was covering me. That meant only one thing. That Eva had awoke before me and had covered me with her blanket. I had pulled it off and walked into the kitchen where I heard humming. It was Eva. She was working on breakfast. For one moment I was living my dream. A normal girl was in my house and acting as if it were her home. My dream was to live a normal life. For a moment I had it. Even when she turned around I was still living in that dream. It was only when she mentioned my mask that the dream came crashing down. I wasn't normal. This life wasn't normal. But it was nice to eat in the same room as a human. It felt good. I wasn't as glad as I had been the two times before when she had left. I was beginning to like her company. My lair was so empty now. I looked toward the book she had laid on my piano. It was an interesting romance I hadn't read yet. I never liked romances because they always reminded me I would always be alone. I picked up the book and started to read. I didn't feel like composing. I felt like finding out how this book ended. As I read I thought about Eva. She had so many good traits about her. But not near as many as my beautiful Christine. I couldn't get attached to Eva. I loved Christine.