Chapter 9 -Don Juan

Evangeline's POV:

I walked down the halls and found myself in front of the manager's door. I knew I could get in trouble for this but I was suddenly struck with an immense curiosity to hear what was going on. As I drew closer I thought I heard arguing. I peaked through the keyhole and saw that Monsieur Richard, one of the managers, was reading Erik's note. Or should I say the note that Erik dictated. I hoped they wouldn't recognize my hand writing. Oh well, it wasn't likely. I crouched down so I could see in easier and waited to hear their response. Richard was looking over the note as Monsieur Monchairman walked in with a note just like it. I wondered if they would notice the difference in the writing as I had only written one. Well, I guess Erik was bored. I secret decided that trying to teach him how to read might be beneficial. That way I wouldn't have to be his personal secretary. After looking at each other for a moment they started to laugh. As the laughter faded, Richard said,

*"They are keeping up the joke. But I don't call it funny."* I wondered who he was talking about but then I smiled. They must be talking about the old managers. It seemed the new managers thought that the old ones were playing a joke. I knew better. Erik wasn't a joke.

*"What does it all mean?" Asked Monchairman. "Do they imagine that, because they have been managers of the Opera, we are going to let them have a box for an indefinite period."* I quickly covered my mouth to keep a laugh from coming out. How could they be so naive as to believe that the old managers would do such a thing. Erik was hardly a ruse.

*"I an not in the mood to allow myself to be humbugged much longer."* said Richard.

*"It's harmless enough," said Monchairman. "What is it they really want? A box for to-night?"* I resisted laughing again. Erik didn't just want a box for tonight. He wanted one forever. And if I knew him, he was going to get it. They decided to give it to the old managers if it wasn't sold. They started to walk towards the door and I made tracks. I made it around the corner just in time. They walked out not even knowing that they had been heard. I hurried down to the lair to tell Erik what I had heard. Maybe he would need some help writing more notes. I liked doing that. Notes were far safer than his Punjab lasso. Though with this last problem I suspected that lasso might come into play. I loved and hated the thing. It was a masterpiece for a killing devise, silent and deadly, but it killed. That I was I hated.

I arrive in Erik's lair and saw no Erik. I walked around and couldn't find him. I even went in his room but there was no Erik. I hadn't ever been in his room before and was shocked as to what I found. It was black, gold, red and a coffin was laying on the floor under a canopy of red cloth. I could only gather that he slept in it. There was grand piano in the corner and on it was something that I should have known he would have but hadn't thought about it. A book titled Don Juan Triumphant. I picked it up and looked it over. It was a book of music. One whole Opera, I was assuming. By the name on the cover I knew Erik had written it. I knew he was a musician. But I didn't know he was this good. I knew how the play the piano a little and after scanning it over I realized this was a dark piece. A piece that burned. I knew I shouldn't but I wanted to play it. I took it from his room and laid it on the piano. I started to play a little of it but it was too dark for me. It was having a bad effect on my mind. But then I had an idea. I moved my hands two octaves up the piano and started to play it on a higher scale. The darkness fled and was replaced by a melody that could haunt and thrill. I played it for hours and never got tired. Was this how Erik spent his hours. He had dated each part as he had composed it. I realized he would work on this for days then quit for years. He was strange. But maybe he lived off music. I was so lost in his music I never heard him behind me. When he cleared his throat I jumped around three feet into the air. I turned quickly as saw his eyes for the first time ever. They were glowing. I was in trouble.