Chapter 8 - Christine

Evangeline's POV:

I listened carefully as Erik dictated,

*Dear Mr. Managers,

I am sorry to have to trouble you at a time when you must be so very busy renewing important engagements, signing fresh contracts and generally displaying your excellent taste. I know what you have done for Carlotta, Sorelli and little Jammes, not to mention others whose admirable qualities of talent or genius you have suspected.

Of course, when I use these words, I do not mean to apply them to La Carlotta, who sings like a cockroach and who ought never to have been allowed toe leaved the Ambassadeurs and the Cafe Jacquin; nor to La Sorelli, who owes her success mainly to the coach builders; not to little Jammes, who dances like a calf in a field. And I am not speaking of Christine Daae either, though her genius is certain, whereas you jealously prevent her from creating any important part. When all is said, you are free to conduct your little business as you think best, are you not?

All the same, I should like to take advantage of the fact that you have not yet turned Christine Daae adrift by hearing her this evening in the part of Siebel, as that of Margarita has been withheld from her since her triumph of the other night; and I must ask you not to dispose of my box to-day nor on the following days. For I cannot end this letter without telling you how disagreeably surprised I have been lately, on arriving at the Opera, to hear that my box had been sold, at the box-office, by your orders.

I did not protest, first, because I dislike scandal, and secondly, because I thought that your predecessors, MM Debienne and Poligny, who were always charming to me, had neglected, before leaving, to mention my little fads to you. I have now received a reply from these gentlemen to my letter asking for an explanation; and this reply proves that you know all about my clause in the lease and, consequently, that you are treating me with outrageous contempt. If you wish us to live in peace, you must not begin by taking away my private box.

Believe me to be, dear Mr. Manager, without prejudice to these little observation,

your most humble and obedient servant,

OPERA GHOST*

I carefully handed the pen to Erik and he signed it. My hand writing wasn't the best but it sure trumped his. I looked over the letter and said,

“When did this all happen?” He laughed.

“That all happened while you were resting. As the Opera Ghost I can get a lot done in twenty-four hours.” I looked at him, still confused. Oh well, I spent a lot of my life like that.

“Anything else that needs writing?” He nodded.

“No, that is all. I hope that no one learns of this.” I was puzzled and asked,

“Why would you hope that?”

“Because you would be the accomplice to a murder. You would be in legal danger.” I raised my eyebrows. That was the second time he had been concerned about my safety and health.

“Well, Erik, I believe you turning into quite a gentleman. I didn't know you cared about what happened to me.” He turned and said,

“I care about those who are my friends. Not that I have ever had any but if I had I would have cared. You are my friend and as such I do not what you to get hurt. I think it might be time for you to return to the surface. They will be missing you soon.” I knew I had better leave but I needed to ask him something.

“Erik, do you love Christine?” He had turned to walk out of his home but when I asked that he stopped. His shoulders started to shake.

“Yes, I do.” He turned slightly toward me. “I do love Christine.” I forced a smile and said,

“I am glad. You need someone who can love you like you love them. I will help you and she if you need it, Erik.” Every word I spoke broke my heart further. Erik smiled at me and guided me back to the surface. I snuggled into bed and realized something. I was in love with the Opera Ghost.