2. A bunch of idiots

Start from the beginning

"Doing nothing? Being a headache for Rashid and playing call of duty?"

He nodded meekly. Safwa didn't want to but she couldn't help. She burst out laughing. Hesham immediately straightened up. If she was laughing it was good right? Maybe he was forgiven.

"If you weren't a laugh I don't know where you'd be right now."

She said shaking her head.

"So am I forgiven?"

Safwa looked at the bouquet in her hand and then at him who was still standing close to the railing he had just climbed up through. His shiny car was in her peripheral vision right outside of the garden. Safwa sighed. He managed to mess up as he always did. It had been two years they were seeing each other but their knowing each other spanned on years before that. He was one of her best friends. The same way her Baba was of his father's. Their families were close knitted for years and nothing had changed even when her parents had died in a car accident. She was just a kid. There weren't many people her parents had left her with. Bisma Phupho was Safwa's legal guardian as she was her only blood relative. Bisma herself had just started working and the whole burden of running a company fell over her shoulders. That time Atif uncle became the support Safwa didn't know she needed. The jolly yet caring and understanding Atif uncle often took her to Baig house where his only son was also subjected to loneliness. Amina auntie, Hesham's mother was as unlucky as Safwa's parents when it came to being there for her son. She had died not long before Issa and Firdaus Kirmani. Maybe it was the losses they had faced in life but the shy Safwa and fun loving Hesham became good friends. And that friendship remained intact throughout their school years. When it came to choosing professional fields they had to part ways as both had interests very distinct from each other but being in the different departments of the same university, how much distance it was going to put between them. Their idea of each other was comfort and the same comfort prompted them to go a step ahead and ask each other out. They were together since then. Both the same in personalities but still going strong and Safwa knew that in this a huge part was of the easy camaraderie they shared since childhood.

"Yeah, fine. You're forgiven. I mean you climbed through my terrace railing. It's my Shakespeare moment so who am I to complain?"

Hesham grinned.

"Thank God! By the way I've never quite appreciated how amazing the view is from here."

"I know right! Just a mug of coffee, a plate of cake and your favourite book! Heaven, Hesham! Heaven!"

Hesham sat down close to her looking ahead and she was right. Heaven it was.

"When Bisma auntie is returning?"

Safwa pouted. It wasn't news. Those who knew Safwa Kirmani also knew how her Phupho was her world.

"Thursday I guess. She couldn't even talk to me properly. That busy. I just hope after this business trip there's a huge gap in next one. What about Atif uncle? Is he back from USA?"

"Not yet. He's enjoying though. The last message he sent me was the pictures of him wandering around Manhattan. Having the time of his life and dude's not leaving a chance to rub it on my face. I'm so gonna take my revenge, Safi. Just you wait."

Safwa nudged him in the side reprimanding. This father son duo was a riot together. For some time they both didn't say anything. Both just sitting on the railing. The salty tint in the air was soothing to the senses. Safwa looked sideways at him and then back at the point he was staring at.