Family Matters

Jay's P.O.V.:

"I want a princess party!"

"I want a Star Farrer party!"

"Princess!"

"Star Farrer!"

"Princess!"

"Star Farrer!"

Yep, it was that time a year again, the twins' birthday party. A week from now our little babies would be turning five years old. It seems like just yesterday when Nya's water broke and I had a panic attack and fainted, but I woke up before they came out.

Nya and I had tried to have another baby about a year ago. Although Nya did manage to get pregnant again, she unfortunately had a miscarriage about two weeks in. I always wonder what our lives would have been like if we hadn't lost the baby, but I guess we'll never know. It was rougher on Nya than it was on me. Even though miscarriages happen all the time, she still blames herself for what happened. I had been trying to convince her to try again, but she said she couldn't risk losing another child, and after seeing her so upset after the first one, I didn't think I could handle it either. Nya and I don't talk about it much.

"Hey kiddos, what is all the arguing about?" Nya walked in.

"I think I know. That means my two little trouble makers are about to get a little older." I laughed and patted their heads.

"How old do we have to get before you stop embarrassing us?" Lily asked.

"Let's see if you live that long." Nya laughed.

"Mom, tell Lily that princess parties are lame." Jax crossed his arms.

"Are not!" Lily snapped.

"Are so!" Jax said again.

"Guys, if you two can't come up with an idea that you both like, your mom and I will have to plan your party." I said.

"But we want to plan our party." Lily said.

"Yeah, we're big kids now." Jax said.

"Then as big kids you have to learn to compromise." Nya said.

"Did you and Uncle Kai have to compromise Mommy?" Lily asked.

"Of course we did sweetie, that's something that brothers and sisters do so that they don't argue all the time." Nya told them. "Speaking of Uncle Kai, you guys need to get ready to go."

"Ok Mommy." Jax said.

"Ok we'll try not to argue." Lily said as she and Jax ran into their bedroom.

Nya and I watched them run into their room. I was laughing but Nya's smile quickly faded.

"What's wrong?" I asked her.

"It's just... a year ago I was pregnant and I remember that we were going to tell the twins on their birthday but then we..."

"I know." I sighed. "But the doctors said it wasn't your fault, that happens all the time and it was out of our control."

"I know it wasn't anything I did, but I can't help but think what life would be like if we didn't..."