♜THIRTY-FIVE♜

WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS (ANTHOLOGY 3 VERSION)

𝔤𝔢𝔬𝔯𝔤𝔢 𝔥𝔞𝔯𝔯𝔦𝔰𝔬𝔫

"Hyde?" I say softly, entering the basement.

"Hey, Princess." He looks up from his spot on the couch and furrows his eyebrows. "What's wrong?"

I tilt my chin higher, not wanting to show my uneasiness. "Nothing. I think we should talk."

He tosses his magazine onto the table and stands. "About what?"

"Us."

He swallows. "Us?"

"Yeah."

He obviously wants to remain cool, like me, so he nods and stuffs his hands into his front pockets. "Okay."

I know that this isn't going to be a pretty conversation, but it's definitely one that is necessary.

"What are we?"

He hesitates for a moment. A long moment. "I thought we agreed that this is a fling."

I bite my lip. "Just that?"

He stares at the wall behind me. "Princess, you know I'm not good with girlfriends and that kind of stuff."

"Yeah, but I..." The rest of the sentence comes out as a meek whisper, which I absolutely despise. "I thought that by now, you would genuinely care about me. At least a little more."

He looks back at me and I search for signs of emotion, but his eyes are covered by his shades.

"I do care about you."

My heart skips a beat. But only because that was not expected.

He sighs heavily. "Of course I care about you, you're my friend."

Normally, I would be happy that I'm not a stranger to him. Instead, a familiar pang of disappointment hits me.

I instinctively harden. "Friends don't know the way you taste, Steven."

His hand reaches for mine. "Princess-"

I sharply step back as the rest of the boys plus Donna enter the room with Jackie in tow.

"I totally won that!" Kelso exclaims. "And just because Donna 'distracts you' doesn't mean I can't make a shot."

"Whatever, man," Eric scoffs.

I wedge myself in between Kelso and Donna while Jackie bursts in. "You guys, I just got an advance copy of the yearbook, and you'll all be happy to know that 1977 is my cutest year ever!"