♟TWO♟

IMMIGRANT SONG

IMMIGRANT SONG

𝔩𝔢𝔡 𝔷𝔢𝔭𝔭𝔢𝔩𝔦𝔫

"In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. Amen."

I scowl as I stand in our local church with Nikolai by my side. "I don't get why we have to be here," I whisper sharply. My family has never really been religious. I know of some components of the idea, but we have never gone to church or prayed. In fact, we identify as Jewish, which clearly justifies my confusion at the moment.

He breathes out a short laugh at my discomfort. "We want to look good for the neighbors."

"Nikolai, that doesn't mean we have to change our religion. If you really want to go somewhere, go to synagogue."

"We want to blend in and look like we're part of a nice, suburban, Catholic, white family."

"That's stereotypical and I find it offensive."

"Maybe so, but it's what Papa wants."

I roll my eyes. "I couldn't give a flying fuck about what Papa wants."

A grandmotherly woman in front of us whips her head over her shoulder and stares at me. If looks could kill. 

As she turns back to face the front of the room, Nikolai sighs. "That's a lie."

I keep my mouth shut. Of course, I want to please my father. He's my father. Plus, doesn't everyone want to please Alexei Volkov? He's literally a god in the business world. I chuckle lightly at the irony of that thought. A god. And he's making us go to church. 

"Please remain standing for a moment of silent meditation," the priest requests.

I fidget with the hem of my skirt, which is far too long for my taste, and glance around the room at the people who bow their heads and close their eyes. Nik nudges me. "Meditate," he mutters, as quietly as possible.

"No." I snap back.

"Anastasia."

I scoff and glare at my feet. Once the priest completes the session, I attempt to scurry out of the aisle, only to be stopped by the woman from earlier. She's about my height, and her cold eyes bore into mine. "You are a disgrace," she spits.

I nod sarcastically. "Yes, I agree."

Her nostrils flare. "Have some respect and courtesy for the Lord and his children. Never have I seen such... such disrespect in a holy place."

"Look, lady," I snarl. "I don't want to be here. I-"

Nikolai kicks me as the woman's companions turn around. My mouth opens slightly as I gawk at the Formans behind her. I tip my head down politely before finishing, "I hope you have a wonderful day. May you be blessed."