♟THIRTEEN♟

HAPPY TOGETHER

HAPPY TOGETHER

𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔱𝔲𝔯𝔱𝔩𝔢𝔰

"Then I forbid you from socializing with any of them."

Her words are gut-wrenching. It takes time for them to sink in, but I don't express any emotion. 

My face is carved out of stone as I reply. "Mama, surely we can work something out where I don't have to completely go out of my way to avoid the neighbors."

She smiles sickeningly. "If you'd like, Kukla, we can move you away altogether."

"Nyet," I snap, before regaining my composure. She's pushing my buttons, she knows it, and she loves it. "It's too much of a hassle. Plus, I'll be away from Nikolai."

"We could always move you closer to him."

"I already said no, mother."

"Why not?"

"I told you. It's too much-"

"Have you actually begun to love people, Anastasia?"

"I don't-"

She rises, towering over me. "This is pitiful. You were raised to be independent, and now you are crying over a change of residence because you've gone soft."

I look to my father for help, as he tends to be the more sympathetic of the two, but he is as cold and angry as my mom.

"You are weak. Maybe you were not ready to leave our care. We will not take you back. We will leave you here, and you will learn the hard way that you cannot afford to feel."

I stand, but my short figure is nothing compared to her tall, slender form.

"We will stay in Point Place and watch you until we deem you fit enough to continue on your own. Is that clear?"

I search her for any hint of compassion, any understanding in the wrinkles that crease her face, but there is none.

I want to rebel and tell her "no" once more, but I know that I can't. I have never been able to stand up to my mother and I'm not strong enough now to do that. Waiting here under her gaze, I recognize the fact that I am truly weak, even if it's not to the extent she believes. I feel as if I have no choice but to comply.

"Yes, Morana," I whisper harshly.

"What was that?"

"Da, Mamochka."

"Good. I'm going to arrange a room for us somewhere. The hotels in this town are probably of better quality than whatever this dump you've created is." I sink back down into the couch as she stalks off.