Prologue - The Bonding

Hijacked Of  Innocence  

Copyright 2020 L.V. Chambers  

All Rights reserved                                                                                                                                                         

This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to actual events or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.  

This is a unique "Coming Of Age"  story  that takes place on a Caribbean island  and explores the culture  of  the region in the 1980s.

                                                                                       ***************

Young Eric jumped out of bed and  looked out his bedroom window. It was a beautiful summer morning. The sky was clear, a perfect day for mango picking. Eric could hardly wait to get going. He quickly washed his face, brushed his teeth and headed for the kitchen. For a nine year old boy on the island mango picking was serious business. He grabbed a couple of fried dumplings from the pan on the stove.  

"You are a pig," his younger sister Lila said.

"You are the pig, you look like one too," Eric told his sister.

"Where yu going? Yu going to see Tanya?" She teased.

'I need a bag to put the mangoes in.'  He wanted to leave before his mother came back into the kitchen.

"I am going to tell Mommy that you are still playing with Tanya," Lila teased.

Eric yanked her hair so  hard, Lila cried out. "Mommy."

Eric made a dash through the door and ran straight into his mother. "And where are you off to this early young man?"

"Mango picking with Billy," He lied. 'I will be grounded if she knows I am going with Tanya.'

"Make sure you are back before lunch time. Mila and her mother are coming for lunch," his mother smiled.

"I don't care about Mila and her mother," Eric grumbled.  '

'I hate Mila, she is creepy. She just sits and stares at  me.  Why is she and her mother always coming to  our house?'

"What did you say?" His mother asked.

"I said I will be back before lunch." 

"That is what I thought you said."

                                                                                                **************

Eric whistled three times, then made a birdlike sound and hid in the bushes. That was the signal for Tanya to come out.  On hearing Eric's signal, Tanya took off without telling anyone. She would be in big trouble if her parents knew that she was with Eric. She  could not lie, so she did not tell anyone that she was going mango picking with Eric.

Eric took the lead. It was a three mile hike to the mango grove. And they had to be back before lunch. Eric figured that lunch time was when the sun was at its highest peek in the sky.

"You are walking too fast," Tanya whined.

Eric slowed down and took her hand. "We have to be back by the time the sun is high in the sky."

"Why," Tanya asked.

"Mila and her mother are coming and my Mom wants me to be there," Eric said.

"But you don't like Mila."