Chapter 34. Home Sweet Home

The word came down with the date of Eric's  appeal. And Tanya was so happy. Uncle Linden was instrumental in this phase of the case. He told his brother to fire Eric's lawyer and he recommended a team of lawyers for Eric. He also insisted that they not have a trial by judge because they did not know which judge was in the pocket of the Johnsons. Linden insisted for a trial by jury and the new lawyers agreed.  

The day before Eric's appeal trial Tanya brought his suit. His hair had gotten so long, Tanya asked him why not cut it so he could make a good impression on the judge and Jury. He said no fucking way.  So Tanya braided  and pulled it all up into a man bun.   Tanya told him how cute he looked  and he was ready to  undo the bun.   He told Tanya that he did not do cute anymore.  Tanya quickly told him that she meant hansom. Eric was tough but jail had only made him tougher. 

Tanya arrived at the trial with her aunt.  Her pregnant bump was beginning to show and Tanya just didn't care who knew about it. The press had a field day as they pressed Tanya for answers about her pregnancy and her supposedly secret marriage to Eric.  

Tanya  later dropped a bombshell in court.  When asked what was her relationship to the defendant, Tanya boldly told the court. "He is my husband," she said. 

There was a hush and then a big up roar in the court house. The judge pounded his gavel on the desk and summoned all the lawyers into his presence. Eric looked at Tanya shocked because he had no idea she would do that. They had agreed to keep their marriage a secret to tamp down the feud between the two families.

 Tanya was sure that her family would think that she and Eric had actually planned her father demise just so they could get married which could not be farther from the truth. And Eric was just afraid of how his mother would take it. He did not put anything pass his mother including hurting Tanya. The woman was obsessed with him marrying an Indian girl.

Tanya could hear what the judge said. He asked the lawyers if they knew Tanya was married to Eric. All the lawyers said that the marriage was news to them. The judge looked at the lawyers as if he did not believe a word they told him. 

"You expect me to believe that none of you knew of this?" the  judge asked.

"We had no knowledge of  this Your Honor," They all answered.  One of the lawyers went on to explain that because Tanya was under twenty one, that information would not be public record.  

The judge looked to Eric's lawyer.  "And Mr. Willbrooks never told you that he was married?" the judge asked.

"No Your Honor, not a word sir; we assume that she was just his girlfriend," he said.

"Assume? you know what they say about he who assume?" the judge asked.

"Yes your honor, "make an ass of  u and me" they all answered. 

The judge called Tanya into his chambers and as she turned her profile it was obvious to everyone  in the court  that she was pregnant. Tanya thought the judge would be tough on her but he was not. He asked her how old she was. She told him. He asked how long she was married. She told him a year and a half, and that she married Eric months before the confrontation of Eric and her father. She told him that she love her father and the only discussion she and Eric had about her parents was how to tell them of the marriage. He asked about the baby. He seemed sympathetic  to her situation.

The jury came back with a verdict  of not guilty on all charges. and there was another uproar in the court. Tanya could see as her mother quickly exited the court house. Eric picked up Tanya and spun her around.  He brought her down to the ground and  couldn't stop kissing her.   His mother looked away at the scene unfolding before her.  It was a good day for her son and the family but a bitter blow  for all her plans for Eric and his future.