Chapter 40: A Mother's Fury

I packed up my bags in silence, Becky watching me with an expectant look on her face. No one understands. I can't tell them anything. Just look at what happened with Severus.

Ever since that night, Severus avoided me. It was amazing how good he was at it. And, though I told him not to tell Professor Dumbledore, I couldn't really tell if he did or didn't. Professor Dumbledore was busy taking care of Harry's needs and, most likely, planning for a war in the — whether near or distant — future.

Though I knew Professor Dumbledore and Severus should know about how I'd been working with dad — how long and everything — I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I made excuses in my mind. Things such as that Professor Dumbledore already had enough on his mind, and that Severus would be even angrier with me.

Lissy and Trixy came in, looking from me to Becky.

"She still hasn't said anything!" Becky shrieked.

"But she has to have some sort of explanation for where she disappeared to..." Trixy replied softly.

"It's amazing how you guys can forget that I'm in the same room as you," I said casually.

Lissy spoke with worry. "We just want to know where you went. When we got to the hospital wing, Madam Pomfrey was raving about you leaving without her permission again. And you didn't return to the common room or the dormitory until late."

"It's not important," I said softly. "I don't know how many times you want me to repeat that before you understand."

Becky threw up her hands in defeat and left the room.

Lissy sat down on my neatly made bed. "Draco's been worried about you not leaving your dormitory. He can't come up here to comfort you, you know."

He won't come comfort me when he finds out the truth, so I can't expect him to do it for me now.

I forced a small smile as I looked back at her. "I don't need comfort, I'm perfectly fine. I've got a little sister I can take home and enjoy the summer with."

She giggled. "Come on, the end-of-year feast is about to begin."

The end is only the beginning, I thought as I zipped up my suitcase. "Good thing I'm all done."

The feast wasn't as noisy as it usually was for the end of the year. The real Mad-Eye Moody was at the staff table, flinching and jumping whenever someone spoke to him. Severus would glance at me every now and then, but mostly ignored me for most of the feast. Draco held his arm around me, trying to engage Becky and I into laughing at jokes that only Lissy and Trixy were openly enjoying.

Professor Dumbledore stood up at the staff table and the room petered into silence, awaiting his end-of-year speech.

"The end," he said, looking around at everyone, "of another year." He paused, his eyes falling upon the Hufflepuff table, the faces of whom were paler than anyone — even Addy's.

"There is much that I would like to say to you all tonight," he continued, "but I must first acknowledge the loss of a very fine person, who should be sitting here," he gestured to the Hufflepuff table, "enjoying our feast with us. I would like you all, please, to stand, and raise your glasses, to Cedric Diggory."

Everyone stood, many with tears on their faces, to raise their glasses as a silent toast. Then we all sat back down again.

Professor Dumbledore continued his speech. "Cedric was a person who exemplified many of the qualities that distinguish Hufflepuff House. He was a good and loyal friend, a hard worker, he valued fair play. His death has affected you all, whether you knew him well or not. I think that you have the right, therefore, to know exactly how it came about."