Chapter 32: Plan to be Set in Motion

"Where have you been?! What did he do to you?! Oh my goodness, you look so pale! Melody??!!"

"Please, Becky, stop heckling me," I said, covering my face with my hands. A well of emotion felt like it was about to pour out of me, tears of relief that I just couldn't let anyone else see. I couldn't bear to see the look of worry on her face and end up bursting into crying fits right in front of her.

"What did he do? Oh, Melody, you have to tell Snape and Dumbledore! They'll want to hear about it! He didn't get permission to give you detention! He's never gotten permission! Melody, please —"

"You heard what 'Professor Moody' said," I snapped, shocking her into silence. "I don't want to get into any more trouble with him, and I especially don't want you slipping into his bad side either... just leave me alone, I don't want to talk about it." My voice was cracking as I sprinted up the stairs to our dormitory, and threw myself into bed.

How does Harry deal with it? He's nearly been killed two times within the past couple years by the Dark Lord and still manages to act like it doesn't perturb him in the slightest. He'll have a third attempt on his life soon, thanks to me. I was nearly killed by no less than a memory of dad as a teenager, but that's not as important. Harry had saved me then, and I just saved myself now by my own wit... well, technically the Room of Requirement had a bigger part in helping me than I did in helping myself. I hadn't even thought Crouch actually wanted me dead.

I feel so very weak and vulnerable and gullible......

⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛

Over an hour before lunch the next day, I went to go see Crouch alone. Not much he can do to me during the day, and anyways — on top of explaining my idea to him — I'd like to be sure he knows I'm not scared of him. Because I'm not. I'm over the bout of emotion I had last night before crying myself to sleep. I'm refreshed and strong.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione were just walking out of his office as I got there.

"Oh, Melody," Hermione said brightly. "Are you going to come to the library any time soon?"

I scratched the back of my neck, starting to lose my nerve. I'd managed not to bump into anyone all morning, with the exception of going to class, and even then I didn't personally speak to anyone.

"Yeah, of course... I — erm — I meant to come yesterday, but something came up."

Hermione seemed to be the only one who didn't notice my awkwardness. "So I'll see you later today?"

"Yeah, sure," I said as they walked away.

Harry and Ron gave some concerned glances at me over their shoulders. At least their suspicions wouldn't be the thought that I was doing anything evil, probably just that something was wrong. And something was wrong. I walked into 'Professor Moody's' office, and slammed the door behind me.

'Moody's' head snapped up from behind his desk. He glared at me.

"So tell me. Was your night a success?" I hissed sarcastically.

"Partly," he reluctantly replied.

"Oh, so I suppose you caught your father. Excellent. And then you got my message, too, in concerns to that stupid 'partly' response."

"Indeed, I did."

"Would you like me to reinforce it?" I asked, wrapping my hands behind my back as I bent forward to glare pointedly at him.