Chapter 29: The Second Task

"Mel, can I ask you something?" Draco asked me the night before February twenty fourth — the day the second task was to take place. We sat next to each other, working on our Potions essays together.

"Ask away," I replied, writing down another sentence.

"It's about the day after the Quidditch World Cup.. when your mother was yelling at my father."

I dropped my quill immediately, sentence forgotten as I looked up at him. Don't tell me he's going to ask what I think he's going to ask...?

His gray eyes seemed stern as he stared back at me. "Why didn't you wait to hear what she was going to say about your real father?"

... And it's exactly what I secretly hoped he wouldn't notice. I picked up the quill in an attempt to finish working on my essay, "Oh that... it's nothing, really. I just —"

His hand on mine stopped me in my tracks, skin warm and tingly to the touch. My cheeks burned as I stared at our combined hands in hopes of avoiding looking at him. Why was such a simple act making me so flustered?

"It's been bothering me, because the strange way that she talked about it made me curious. I'd hoped you would explain why you avoided hearing it at least a little, but you never brought it up...."

I glared at my paper, calculating something — anything — to say so he could give up on it.

"Mel.." he said softly, his free hand shaking as he brought it up to my chin and turned my head to face him. His eyes emitted nothing but seriousness, yet his close proximity only made me feel like my cheeks were burning hotter than before. How is this even possible?! The burning even traveled up to my ears.

"Erm —" dangit, I've lost all track of my thoughts... my brain feels useless. "W-Well.. I.. it..." I sighed. "I want to know about my dad, of course... but I want to hear it from her when she knows I'm listening."

His hand released my chin, as though knowing I wouldn't turn away once I'd finally admitted it. "But what if she never tells you? What if you keep waiting for nothing?"

I forced a smile to my face, closing my eyes so I wouldn't have to see his reaction. "She can't hide it forever. I'll get the truth eventually, I'm sure. Thanks for worrying, though."

The warmth of his hand lifted as he suddenly stood up and left. I opened my eyes to see him speeding up to his dorm.

"Well... that went well...." I commented to myself, staring off after him, rubbing my hot cheeks with the cold hand he hadn't touched. How strange for his hands to be so warm when mine were freezing.

What was that all about.. with the hand and...? Agh, I can't be worrying about him right now, it's almost March — in about two months, I'll have to start making the Flesh, Blood, and Bone potion... and put my magic into it. I still have to decide whether or not to put emotions into it — then again, maybe I should ask what his actions toward mom were? They were obviously loving enough to conceive me.... Ugh, don't think about that, Melody!... Well, he used to be handsome. Since I'm a spit image of him when he was younger and — well, not a snake-faced bundle of terror. He had to have shown some type of reaction to... being with her?

"Was that a Draco storm I saw?" Becky had just arrived in the common room, obviously having come from a time spent with George – and Fred. How does he feel about being a third wheel, I wonder?

"I don't know about a storm..."

"What did you do now?"

"Nothing!" I looked at her indignantly. "Why would you think I did something?"