Chapter 24: Finding a Date

"The Yule Ball," Becky said dreamily, dancing as though in a waltz with an invisible person around our dormitory. "Can you even imagine what it will be like?"

"Nope, but at least I know now what the dressrobes were for," I said. But will I even wear it?

Becky dropped down next to me on my bed. "I know you're thinking that you have no one to go with. But I'm sure a bunch of guys will ask you to the ball now that you don't have Marcus weighing you down."

I laughed, but it was a fake, mocking one. "That'll be embarrassing for me and them."

"You're at least going to stay for Christmas and go to the ball, right?" Becky asked anxiously. "I would love it if you would go."

"I suppose," I said, raising an eyebrow at her. "Is it really all that important that I go to it?"

"Well, yes. I think you need to get over your... antisocial tendencies, and –"

"Pfft hahaha!" I snorted with laughter. "Antisocial tendencies? I don't have any tendencies of the sort!"

"You talk to very few people!"

"So? I don't talk to all the other people in this school because I don't like them, and telling me to get rid of antisocial tendencies won't really change that."

"And why don't you like them, per se?" Becky sounded rather haughty as she asked that.

"That's to keep to myself. I don't need you spreading to other people that I don't like them. That will bring some people to me all teary-eyed and offended expecting an apology... when, in the end, all they'll really get is a slap to the face."

Becky chuckled.

⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛

Later, I went to the library to search through the aisles for a history book to read when I heard small giggling. I glanced through an empty space in a bookshelf to see Viktor and Hermione talking to each other.

Viktor said something so low I couldn't hear it, but Hermione replied with, "Yes, of course, I would love to."

I stepped back with a smile. Perhaps the Yule Ball? That'll be all anyone can talk about when they find out they're going together. Especially Dra—

"Melody?"

"Oh sh –" I jumped, bringing my hand to my heart, which raced a mile a minute. "Hermione, you startled me."

She smiled, "That's new. I never thought you would be one I could startle."

"I was lost in thought," I said, running a hand through my hair. "I suspect Viktor just asked you to the ball?"

"He did. But don't tell anyone unless it's Becky.. least of all Ron and Harry."

As if I could hold a pleasant conversation with them for long without Ron trying to get away from me as quickly as possible, I thought wryly.

Ron finally made up with Harry right after the First Task.. something I hadn't noticed until Hermione mentioned it to me. I had been severely distracted.

"I can understand you want it to be a surprise... as much as you complained about the guy when Harry was in here with us."

"Maybe," she said with a small smile. "Are you going with anyone yet?"