Chapter 22: The First Task

"Everything's going perfectly according to plan so far," 'Professor Moody' said, excitedly and nervously, while dragging me through the hallways to his office the afternoon before the first task.

Could I possibly get my arm back before you tear it off? I thought, attempting to twist myself out of his grasp. "What –?"

When we finally reached his office he basically threw me in, coming in behind me, and locked the door behind him.

I gave a soft glare, rubbing my arm tenderly, "Someone's really overexcited..."

"Do you know what the first task is?" 'Professor Moody' asked, pushing me down into a chair.

Bossy and pushy today...oy.. "No, of course not. Obviously you do?"

He licked his lips madly, pausing dramatically. "Dragons."

I raised an eyebrow, "The contestants are supposed to get past them?"

He nodded. "Potter's seen them thanks to me nudging Hagrid... and I gave the suggestion that he use his Firebolt to get past the dragon.... He should be all right now that he knows what he can do to get past it...... The only problem now is if he'll make it through with that alone."

"You really don't need to worry so much," I said with a sigh, leaning back in the chair and crossing my legs to be comfortable.

He growled, "I have every reason to worry. Anything could go wrong..."

I sighed, "If I am certain about anything, it's this... Harry has a way of getting out of very tight spots, and he's brilliant on a broomstick. He'll be fine."

"How do you know?!" he shouted, his face turning red.

At that moment there was a hard knocking on the door, at which I nearly jumped. I looked to 'Professor Moody' and asked in a small whisper, "Could someone have heard through the door?"

"Only shouts," he mumbled, going over to the door.

I still sat stiff in my chair.

The door opened and Severus stormed through.

"Ah, Snape, what a surprise –" 'Professor Moody' began sarcastically.

"What reason do you have for locking yourself in this room alone with Melody? Not only for that, but for dragging her through the hallways like a common criminal?" he asked menacingly, his black eyes glittering furiously.

'Professor Moody' smiled as though pleased about his reaction. "So, you're going to save your so-called 'perfect' student? I've got my eye on her, Snape."

Blatantly ignoring his comment, Severus turned to me and softly said, "Come on. Let's go."

I stood with a nod and followed him out without protest, glancing at 'Professor Moody' once before walking out. Once out of sight, Severus put his hand behind my back and sped up as if to get us away as fast as possible.

Boy, the real Alastor Moody must be terrifying.. I thought, deciding it was best not to say anything.

We were all the way down in the dungeons, close enough to Severus' office, when he asked, "Are you all right? Did he hurt you in any way?"

"I'm.. fine, I guess...?" I said uncertainly, trying to remember what Barty had shouted at me when Severus. After a minute of wracking my brains, I recalled, 'How do you know?!' ... I could say he seemed to try to get me to say something, but I just didn't know what. Severus would believe that 'Professor Moody' so called 'thinks' I know about dad being Lord Voldemort. "I'm not particular sure what he was trying to ask me."