Chapter 37: "Moody" Busted

I ran through the hallways of Hogwarts, empty due to everyone being at the Quidditch field waiting for the winners to get the Triwizard Cup and come out champions. All the while, I ran things through my head from the vision I'd seen.

Cedric Diggory is dead... at least I didn't see that happen... but it's so terrible. He was in his last year here, he had his whole life ahead of him — damn, I should've expected the two of them to pair off together to grab the cup! Oh God.... and if Severus is not careful, dad may kill him too....

The words, "One, who I believe has left me forever... he will be killed, of course" hit me hard. I had to find some way to save him from that fate... Karkaroff had to pay for his cowardice, which was obviously going to be death as well, but I could've cared less about him. He could probably keep himself safe, he was so cowardly.

I turned the corner onto the marble staircase and nearly ran smack into 'Professor Moody' while he half carried Harry through the halls. When we halted in our steps, we glared shortly at each other.

"Not now, Riddle," he shoved me out of the way as continued. His peg leg clunked heavily against the floor as he asked Harry, "And then?"

Harry replied, limping along, "Made a potion... got his body back...."

I quickly began to run down the stairs. Have to tell someone! He can't kill Harry! Have to —

A hand had slapped over my mouth, and I was dragged into a dark corner before I could even finish thinking it through. I relaxed as I recognized the smell of herbs, and the hand was promptly taken away once it was clear I wasn't about to scream. It was Severus. Professors McGonagall and Dumbledore were with him as well.

"How was Moody acting just now?" they all asked urgently. I guessed he did something drastic to imply that he wasn't who they thought he was. Dumbledore... the look he had on his face was terrifying. The fury in his eyes was unbelievable! No wonder dad feared him so.

"Very strange..." I said softly. "Harry looked to be in pretty bad shape, but he was brutally pulling him through the hallways."

Severus grabbed my arm and dragged me with them to the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher's office. Wow, I didn't think I'd be let in on the fun! However, as we hurried, Severus asked me in a harsh whisper, "Why aren't you in the hospital wing?"

"Why was I in the hospital wing?" I snapped back.

"You collapsed," he said.

"And collapsing is dangerous now, is it?"

"No one understood why it happened. I brought you to Madam Pomfrey so she could take care of you."

I snorted.

We reached the door and waited just outside, knowing the door would most likely be padlocked, but were able to hear everything going on inside.

"There's a Death Eater at Hogwarts!" we heard Harry shout out. "There's a Death Eater here — they put my name in the Goblet of Fire, they made sure I got through to the end —"

There was a sound like someone was pushed roughly back into their seat.

'Moody' spoke in a quiet tone. "I know who the Death Eater is."

"Karkaroff? Where is he? Have you got him? Is he locked up?"

"Karkaroff?" 'Moody' laughed. "Karkaroff fled tonight, when he felt the Dark Mark burn upon his arm. He betrayed too many faithful supporters of the Dark Lord to wish to meet them... but I doubt he will get far. The Dark Lord has ways of tracking his enemies."