Chapter 21 : Dark Magic

"I really don't see the appeal of those badges," I said, more to myself than to anyone else.

I was in the common room with Draco, Marcus and Lissy. Draco was lounging on an armchair, Lissy and I sat cross-legged on the couch facing each other, and Marcus sat on the floor next to me with his elbows on the center table. We were all working on our homework, and at the same time I was actively being a tutor.

I found a process that worked for me where they could ask me questions whenever they got confused, and when they finished I could check their work so they knew what they needed more studying on. Meanwhile, I could work on my homework and the extra essays for Professor Snape while I waited.

"They get on Potter's nerves, so they do their duty," Draco explained, keeping his eyes glued on his History of Magic essay about Merlin's accomplishments. "He likes the spotlight so much, he can have it."

I shrugged, not that he noticed. I felt a swelling of pride for how focused he was on his work, whereas in previous years it was difficult for him to not get distracted.

Then my eyes fixated on the back of Marcus' head, and it felt like I was burning holes into it. I wanted to peek into his brain to see for sure that Addy had told me the truth, but I knew my only option would be to patiently wait for the truth to be revealed. I could still remember Professor Dumbledore's warning to me when we first met about reading people's minds without their permission. There was no knowing if he could track that I was committing the act, so I wasn't about to act irrationally... not when it was about something that should've been insignificant to me.

It felt like I shouldn't care about what he was doing since I didn't reciprocate the same feelings he claimed to have toward me..... Well, that is the problem. If it's true, why couldn't he just break up with me for crying out loud? If he couldn't because he knew there was no other guaranteed way to stay in the good graces of the Dark Lord, then he's got another thing coming. It just proves that saying he loves me is a lie, and this whole relationship really is a hoax. Once the truth is revealed, I will make him feel sorry he ever crossed —

I quickly turned my attention back to my essay on alchemy versus potion brewing when Marcus lifted his head up, suddenly alert, and turned to look at me. He had to have felt my negative energy to stop what he was doing, so I tried to compose my thoughts into focusing on my work.

What am I thinking? I berated myself. I shouldn't be planning to do anything to him. It's not that serious.. then why am I itching for revenge?

I must've had a pissed off expression. When he gently tapped my leg, causing me to turn my gaze on him, his eyebrows were furrowed with worry. "Is everything okay?"

I forced a reassuring smile,"Of course. Why wouldn't it be?"

He hesitated, "You look.. Upset."

"Oh.." I glanced at my essay for inspiration. "It's just that the next sentence of this essay seems to be... eluding me. Nothing to worry about."

With an uncertain nod, he turned back to his homework. I found myself impulsively glaring at the back of his skull again. Nothing to worry about, indeed... yet.

⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛

As I had suspected, Rita Skeeter had taken her story on Harry to a new extreme. Becky got the Daily Prophet from Draco the next day at breakfast, and read it to me.