𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐬

"dude," ponyboy began with a sigh, grabbing a tight hold of my hand, as my skin under sodas flannel began to shiver in the wind.

"yeah, i know." i scoffed, rolling my eyes, intertwining our fingers, as the sun settled down below the vast oak trees on the lot we were approaching.

"we aren't killing anyone, i get it." i admitted, swinging our arms back and forth so they put distance between our cold, bodies.

it began to drizzle softly, as the rain feel in defined sounds around me. i hummed the intro to summer of '69 by bryan adams as pony listened to my dull voice with a smile.

"i gotta shower at home." i announced, taking a left at grant street, rather then a right to the lot.

he didn't say a word while running a hand through his wet hair, raindrops falling, staining our skin and clothes, darkening them as we breathed.

silently agreeing with me, he held my hand tighter, as lightning struck above our heads, quite frankly scaring the shit out of him more than me.

i've always loved the rain. something about it was pleasant, even in thunder storms.

someone told me long ago, there's a calm before the storm, and if you put it into perspective, it's kinda like when we get angry.

we're calm one moment before the anger strikes, and when it comes, it's hard, just like the thunderbolts or the storm clouds.

earth is connected. you just have to open your eyes.

it took only five minutes to get home, and when we did i raced upstairs to the bathroom as ponyboy stayed in my room while i showered.

after wrapping the towel around my slim frame, i stepped out of the shower and made my way straight to my room, passing the mirror on the way.

i eyes were darkened with sadness, as they stained a bloodshot red.

my grey eyes seemed lighter, as my hands touched the bags beneath them.

"god you look like a fucking joke." i laughed to myself, maintaining a serious look on my face, pulling up the towel as it began to fall.

walking into my room, i kicked ponyboy to the living room, as i changed into a fresh pair of sweats, and a sports bra.

inviting him back into my room, he rest on my bed, as i dragged my guitar from the depths of my closet, placing it to the warmth of my body.

"archie used to love 'you are my sunshine'" i stated as i began to play the cords, fingers strumming the melody, knowing the song like the back of my hand.

"he always used to joke that you were his sunshine." he smiled, as i began the song, softly moving my fingers to the beat, humming the tune.

people like archie would never find something like a sunshine in their life.

not because he isn't worthy of finding love, but because people like him deserve more then one person to have feelings for.

people like archie levenger don't fall in love with a single person, they're the type of people to love everyone, but even through that, they never find the one.

i wasn't the one for archie, he just thought that i was.

finishing the song, i placed the guitar to the side of my dresser, laying dramatically back on my queen sized bed, falling directly on top of ponyboys chest.

as he stroked my hair, i dozed off to sleep, ponyboy humming the melody of the song i just sang, so that i'd softly fall asleep.

i never understood the saying 'falling asleep', because in the end there's nothing peaceful about falling, especially when you're the one doing it.